PlantFiles: Tree Mallow
Lavatera 'Purisima'

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lavatera (lav-uh-TEER-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Purisima

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Fuchsia (Red-Purple)
Purple

Blooms all year

Thumbnail #1 of Lavatera  by palmbob

Thumbnail #2 of Lavatera  by palmbob

Thumbnail #3 of Lavatera  by palmbob

Positive natureguyfrog On Jun 29, 2010, natureguyfrog from San Diego, CA wrote:

I was told upon purchasing my original plant from a native plant specialist about 23 yrs ago that this plant was a sterile hybrid between Lavatara assurgentiflora and L. venusta (from mexico). I have L. assurgentiflora growing on my property(numerous seed grown specimens) as well as seedlings originating from L. assurgentiflora PURISSIMA!!! I am sure that the L. PURISSIMA was back polinated by L. assurgentiflora. All but a few of these seedlings seem to be completely self fertile following in the footsteps of L. assur. in abundant production of seed!

Colors are confined to shades of pink, red-purple, rose, violet, with varying amounts of white (petal bases) and my favorite which I call Rose-Blackberry Swirl- a near white selection with somewhat twisting petals, rose petal tips and dark purple linear striations on inside of petals. Each type comes quite true from seed with some variation (possibly due to crosses with other colors or L. assur.)

I lost some of these variants in the late 1990's due to some drastic life changes but I still have some actively productive seedlings.

This shrubby tree is extremely easy to grow. It thrives in poor soil...even clay. Will take summer water but must be careful not to overwater in heavy soil. Extremely fast growing and is an excellant choice for a temporary tree or tall shrub to fill in until slower growing trees or shrubs develope. Has a deep tap root system which makes it an ideal candidate for slope planting. Excellant erosion control when allowed to grow naturally with its heavy wide-spreading branches. Seedlings sprout underneath every winter creating an erosion controlling colony of plants!

These plants also LOVE to be PRUNED! The mature bark is extremely attractive, rivaling white birch trees! I believe that they are most beautiful when pruned as small trees. Since they are extremely prolific bloomers they also benefit from vigorous pruning throughout the year.

natureguyfrog