Tatarian Maple 'Hot Wings'

Acer tataricum

Family: Sapindaceae (sap-in-DAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Acer (AY-ser) (Info)
Species: tataricum (tat-TAR-ee-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Hot Wings
Additional cultivar information:(PP15023, aka Hot Wings, GarAnn)
Hybridized by Epstein
Registered or introduced: 2003

Good Fall Color

By grafting

By budding

Denver, Colorado (2 reports)

Glenwood Springs, Colorado

On Jul 6, 2015, RiverBlue from Denver, CO wrote:

Planted my Hot Wing Maple a year and a half ago. Tallest branch reaches about 10 feet tall. Lots of red wings this summer but the branches are thin and very playable. Lots of new saplings at the trunk. I'm not sure how to trim this young tree to support it's growth and support the long thin branches. Any suggestions?

On May 18, 2010, Borubar from Vienna
Austria wrote:

how you cab propagate it ?

On May 5, 2010, brebay from Denver, CO wrote:

I am giving this tree a neutral rating because I have not had it long enough to rate it. I planted two of these trees in early fall of 09. They had a few red samaras on them which were a beautiful shade of red against the green foliage. The fall color was yellow and not spectacular, but I was not expecting much of a display because the tree is only a 1" caliper, 10 ft tall, and not very full. The trees just leafed out for spring. I was surprised to see the leaves emerged a reddish, purple color before turning green. There were quite a few suckers that needed to be trimmed off. The other observation I made is the trees will grow from seed. I found several seedling trees emerging within a 5-10 feet of each tree. I plan to leave one or two alone to see what happens, if they grow I will move ... read more

On Jul 25, 2009, Pewjumper from Glenwood Springs, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

The "winged" seeds are blood red and grow in clusters all over the older growth. When backlit by the sun they are absolutely stunning. The color of the seeds don't seem to bleach with the intense mountain sun here in Colorado at 6,000 feet. I don't know about fall color yet. I do not know how long the seeds will remain on the tree and hold their color, but they still look fantastic at the end of July. At this point in late July I would say that the trees are 50% green & 50% blood red. The new growth leafs are light green & the old growth leafs are dark green.

I have only had these four trees one year, but they have grown two feet. I had to trim them for structure as the nursery did a lousy job while they had them.

I will update this in the fall of 2009 if I re... read more