Sawara False Cypress, Boulevard Cypress, Blue Moss Cypress 'Dow Whiting'

Chamaecyparis pisifera

Family: Cupressaceae (koo-press-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Chamaecyparis (kam-ee-SIP-a-riss) (Info)
Species: pisifera (pee-SEE-fer-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Dow Whiting
Additional cultivar information:(aka Soft Serve)

Provides winter interest

This plant is resistant to deer

Irwin, Pennsylvania

Warrenton, Virginia

Ellensburg, Washington

On Nov 4, 2014, als20 from Irwin, PA wrote:

I have 6 of these in various spots around my yard. The oldest one has been in the ground a little over 3 years with the newest two about 1 year.

I am a big fan of this tree, they are GREAT looking and have done well in our poor clay soil and cold winters.

The two I planted last year got in a little late in the season and were in a location with no protection and lots of wind. So they were not well established when we got blasted with sub-zero temps and a brutal winter. I ended up wrapping them in burlap about mid-winter. They got pretty beat up but have come back great over the summer. The other three I have are in a similar location and have done well since planting about 2.5 years ago.

The only comment I would have is they may get big... read more

On Sep 19, 2013, Gracye from Warrenton, VA wrote:

After an exhaustive search for the best foundation conical shrub, not too tall, feathery, on the blue side, able to withstand Virginia blasting sun, and affordable, oh, and don't forget, deer resistant, I bought two.
I have a 1950's bright-white painted cinderblock cottage, one floor, and have a high water table - an artesian well is nearby! These two shrubs went into a greatly improved foundation bed, on the other side of a Montgomery blue spruce and a Castle wall holly. Oh, the first two years, I was extremely worried - they browned out in the middle, went limp in the summer blast, and had very little growth.
This third year, they took off like race horses! Lush, three colors, and so feathery, what incredible shrubs!
They also have that retro look while being deer re... read more

On Mar 27, 2009, ShrubSource from Zeeland, MI wrote:

Chamaecyparis - Soft Serve False Cypress

Soft Serve is extremely adaptable and is a great substitute for 'Dwarf Alberta' spruce. This compact evergreen has graceful, soft fern-like branching. The leaves are bright green on top and flecked with silver-blue on the underside. Soft Serve does not require any pruning, but to keep it smaller pruning can be done in the spring. Makes an outstanding specimen and is also a wonderful choice for shrub borders, hedges, and screens. Evergreen.