Coneflower
Echinacea 'Hot Papaya'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Echinacea (ek-in-AY-shee-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Hot Papaya
Additional cultivar information:(PP21022; Cone-Fection series)
Hybridized by Blom
Registered or introduced: 2008

Orange

Red-Orange

This plant is resistant to deer

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Dearborn Heights, Michigan

Rockford, Michigan

Albertville, Minnesota

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Saint Paul, Minnesota (2 reports)

Saint Louis, Missouri

Salt Lake City, Utah

Amelia Court House, Virginia

Arlington, Virginia

Portsmouth, Virginia

Seattle, Washington (2 reports)

Petersburg, West Virginia

Dallas, Wisconsin

On Sep 12, 2014, bluecatcxl from Farr West, UT wrote:

Best color of any coneflower I had ever seen up to this point. I have grown it for several years and sadly it has weak stems. Try 'Cinnamon Cupcake' instead for a similar color and short sturdy stems.

This one needs to be propped up or staked at least, though the color is AMAZING. I would only use as a cut flower.

On Jul 24, 2014, Terri1948 from Yorkshire
wrote:

Four years ago I planted this beautiful Echinacea. It bloomed splendidly that first year. The following it didn't reappear :( Such a shame because it is a real beauty. For other members living in the UK I would plant this but treat it as an annual. It's worth growing for that amazing color. Mulch it well after cutting it back to protect well from frosts. If it does survive through the Winter it will have been so worthwhile.

On Sep 12, 2013, Donna177 from London

I love my Hot Papaya plant. It was the star of my garden this year. I just read your plant profile and it sais it does not set seed. I have collected many seeds just today. My question is, "are saying these seeds will not germinate for me, that they are sterile?"

On Aug 12, 2013, buckles from Hailey, ID (Zone 4b) wrote:

'Hot Papaya' is one of my favorite coneflowers. This is a sturdy, robust coneflower whose flowers open like orange daisies and then develop into large, deep red pompoms. This is a real standout in the garden. I have several planted with Tomato Soup and Marmalade which creates a wonderful mass of color, and then I have a one in front of dark 'Summerwine' Ninebark which adds a real jolt of color.

On Jul 25, 2013, trustmissy from Bay City, MI wrote:

I planted this last summer. This summer it has one blossom on a leggy stem that I have to prop up.

On May 28, 2012, Sherilou from Panhandle Gulf Coast, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Hot Papaya is the most beautiful coneflower I've ever seen. The bloom is a brilliant true-red that really lasts. I love it.

I ordered one Hot Papaya from Spring Hill Nursery. I received a very healthy plant that grew vigorously. I divided that plant in the first winter to get four plants!

On Aug 14, 2011, rntx22 from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I ordered this from a catalog a couple years ago... it is the best echinacea I have ever owned. It comes back every year, several times a year and is loaded with super long lasting huge blooms. One of my favorite plants!

On Jun 22, 2011, nconway567 from Valdosta, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have six of these in my garden, purchased from Lowe's. I am so impressed already, by the color and the sturdiness of this plant. Both my front garden and backyard garden get 8 hours or more of direct hot Georgia sun per day and they barely wilt. Very happy with these.

On Jul 16, 2010, carolrees from Arlington, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I purchased four of these from Merrifield Gardens in Northern Virginia this year and put them in my flower garden. I have about 8 different echinacea varieties but this is one of the most spectacular double pom-pom varieties. It definitely stands out in a flower garden. Mine are all deep orange red.

On Jun 28, 2010, rwbigfoot wrote:

mine is orange on the bottom and a yellowish color on top. lowes 6-10 13.95

On Jun 25, 2010, Kim_M from Hamburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I am very impressed with this plant. I did not expect to like it as much as I do. I purchased it a few months ago. As one of those....Just because the nursery said it was a hot item. It is more then that..It is a GREAT performer! The Flowers are a True deep red and very large when fully open.

On Jun 20, 2010, hostapeggy from Perrysburg, OH (Zone 5a) wrote:

I am loving this plant. The blooms first appear as just small, pale orange singles, then evolve into brilliant orange double blooms. It is also an early bloomer - mid June in zone 5.