Banana
Musa 'Dwarf Orinoco'

Family: Musaceae
Genus: Musa (MEW-suh) (Info)
Cultivar: Dwarf Orinoco

Centreville, Maryland

Rowlett, Texas

negative

On Aug 9, 2007, pheitmeyer from Mesa, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

Planted a small plant in late March in the west corner of the backyard (facing east). Used a big mound of miracle-gro potting soil and earthworms in raised bed. Set up on drip system for hourly watering 9 times per day, increasing the duration as it got hotter. From June - August, fertilized monthly with miracle gro all-purpose, natures' magic, and fish emulsion fertilizers and epsom salts. Now plant is huge with 2 pups. Pic uploaded on this page.

On Jun 9, 2006, Silphion from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

Much as I'd love to have had a good expearance with this plant I have to give this one a negitive

I purchased two bannanas from The World Plant Shop: 1 dwarf Orinoco and 1 Golden Lotus (different Genus' but similar "supposed" cold hardiness)

Both plants had the last 3 months of summer 05 to get used to thier Z8b south facing microclimate and while the Lotus bannana promptly came up in 06 the Orinoco did not. When I called the World Plant Shop I discovered that they kept thier Orinoco's in greenhouses over the winter and could not confirm the plants ability to overwinter. We are approaching mid-June and I must assume that the Orinoco did not make it. I would like to postulate that this hybrid is not as cold hearty as advertised. BTW, yes I mulched and provi... read more

On Jan 30, 2006, Flowerkid from Tyler, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

As a dwarf, this plant fares better in windy areas than its taller version, but may need help supporting heavy heads of fruit. It is cold-hardy to Zone 7, and features wider-than-usual leaves, especially for its smaller size. It is a good grower, and will fill in a space for you lickety-split!

On Jan 28, 2006, stressbaby from Fulton, MO wrote:

Suitable for greenhouse culture but somewhat more prone to mites than DC.