Hardy Hibiscus, Rose Mallow
Hibiscus 'Peppermint Schnapps'

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hibiscus (hi-BIS-kus) (Info)
Cultivar: Peppermint Schnapps
» View all varieties of Hibiscus

This plant is resistant to deer

From hardwood cuttings

Accokeek, Maryland

Lincoln, Nebraska

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

Knoxville, Tennessee

Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)

Mesquite, Texas

Madison, Wisconsin

On Jul 23, 2013, Clint07 from Bethlehem, PA wrote:

Very rewarding. In about its sixth year in my Zone 6a garden with perhaps 5-6 hours of sunshine on a summer day, it grows to over 6' in height. At the back of the flower bed it's striking, with up to a dozen blossoms a day for a very long stretch. It makes me look like a better gardener than I really am.

On Jun 14, 2011, MisfitFlower from Uncasville, CT wrote:

I bought 2 Rose Mallow plants from Stop & Shop last year and (not sure but) I think the are the Peppermint Schnapps variety, as this is as close as the pictures match up to what I have. I absolutely LOVE my Rose Mallows! I did not think they would stand up to Connecticut winters but, lo and behold, they came back in Spades! Just 3 stems on a young plant returned as 12 stems and counting! Eight inches of space was NOT enough - 18 inches to 2 feet would have been more like it to start. Ooops. So I'm moving my babies to bigger plots. But they grow like crazy. All I did was put them in Miracle Grow Garden soil in front of my porch and try my best to keep them damp. If they dried out, they were prone to wilting and losing their buds or blooms prematurely. And the variety I have doesn't seem to ... read more

On Sep 8, 2010, mcintoshcd from Accokeek, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Hibiscus Peppermint Schnapps is a stellar plant. Give it decent sun (mine gets about 5 hours a day) and it will show off like the image I posted on the right. It blooms heavily for about two weeks, takes about two weeks off and them comes back with steady blooms until fall. It's one of the last blooming perennials (along with Monkshood) in our garden. I highly recommend this plant for its color and abundance.