PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Lady Lucy'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Lady Lucy

» View all varieties of Tomatoes

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Growing Habit:

Fruit Shape:

Fruit Size:

Fruit Colors:

Usage:

Leaf Type:
Potato Leaf

Positive VGMKY On Sep 22, 2011, VGMKY from Louisville, KY wrote:

"Keith, I liked your tomato so much I shared a few seed with friend Merlyn Niedens. Merlyn grows some of the seed Baker Creek and Southern Exposure Seed Exchange lists. They are listing it for the 2009 growing season. I shared what information I had with them. I have seen the BC catalog proof and it is amazingly beautiful."

Lady Lucy --From the Nantahala Forest area in Northern Georgia, comes this large pink oblate tomato with sweet complex flavor with an acid zing, good for slicing/canning, vigorous potato leaf, OP, indeterminate. Grower Keith Nicholson, Franklin, North Carolina, discovered these plants when he stopped at a Yard Sale along the road way. I liked it so much I shared seed with my mentor and friend, Merlyn Niedens; he grew it and shared seed with Baker Creek Seed and Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. Merlyn died last May while working in his garden. He and his wife, Mary Ann, spent their lives growing, developing, and preserving many heirloom seed/plant varieties.

According to a 2006 post from a fellow DG member, "The seeds came from a Blease Woodall in Longcreek, SC and his friend from work says he's in his 70s. ...

[The color] is more of a dark pink with sort of orange undertones. The green shoulders finally disappeared and they took on a uniform color. The flesh was deep red."