Devil's Ivy, Variegated Pothos, Golden Pothos, Centipede Vine 'N' Joy'

Epipremnum aureum

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Epipremnum (ep-ih-PREM-num) (Info)
Species: aureum (AW-re-um) (Info)
Cultivar: N' Joy
Additional cultivar information:(PP19965)
Hybridized by Hansoti
Registered or introduced: 2007
Synonym:Pothos aureus
Synonym:Scindapsus aureus

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

By air layering

Santa Barbara, California

Santee, California

West Palm Beach, Florida

Augusta, Georgia

Independence, Kansas

On Mar 23, 2013, creash from Logansport, IN wrote:

I have had much success propagating by taking cuttings of the vines, clipping the leaves off about three inches from the cut end, and putting it in water until it starts to grow roots, then planting it. You just need to do several cuttings at once. However, I've found that the key (as I do with all my plants now) is to NOT use tap water! I use distilled or bottled water. In my area, the city puts a LOT of chlorine and fluoride and such in the tap water, and my plants have all been better since I switched. Hope this helps.

I am also highly allergic to poison ivy, but I have no problem handling it.

On Mar 13, 2010, plantlady64 from Independence, KS wrote:

This plant grows well. Easy to care for. I need to know how to start more plants off of all the long vines. Haven't had real good luck in water. Not sure about just putting them in good soil. Can anyone help???

On Feb 15, 2010, trlee from Santee, CA wrote:

I bought this plant for $7 from the grocery store. It was unlabeled, but it was such a full, beautiful trailing plant that I couldn't resist it. And the price! What a deal! But I couldn't find out what it was until a month later. Not even the local nursery could name this plant. Everyone that sees this "Devil's Ivy" wonders what it is and if they can have a cutting. I have not had any skin reaction to touching/handling this plant or its sap, and I get a very bad reaction from Poison Ivy. I have it growing in an eastern exposure and it is doing fabulous. What a find!

On May 19, 2009, triff from Seminole, FL wrote:

If you are allergic to Poison Ivy, steer clear of this plant. I am allergic to Poison Ivy, and get the same reaction if Pothos touches my skin. A very itchy, watery blister that takes about a week to heal, and often leaves a scar. It is not called "Devil's Ivy" for nothing.