PlantFiles: Azalea
Rhododendron x gable 'Karen'

Family: Ericaceae (er-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rhododendron (roh-do-DEN-dron) (Info)
Species: x gable

Thumbnail #4 of Rhododendron x gable by DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #5 of Rhododendron x gable by DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #6 of Rhododendron x gable by DaylilySLP

No positives

Neutral KariGrows On May 12, 2011, KariGrows from New Lisbon, WI (Zone 4b) wrote:

I am in zone four, but can push zone five plants quite often. When I saw the Karens, on sale I couldn't resist since my legal name is Karen. I got two and last fall they were covered with buds. I am not sure what ate all of the buds but rabbit or deer, either could have, as I did not protect them and they are in a woodland garden.
So now it is May, and lo and behold, they have died back on top where they were chewed but around the lower part of each plant they have budded and are about to bloom! I am thrilled they are so determined to flower! Next winter I will certainly protect them from nibblers.
Kari in New Lisbon, Wisconsin

One year later, this year they did not bloom and have nearly died from our drought. Even though I tried to keep them watered, they look terrible. One appears to have a little more life in it. But if they dont bloom next year , they will have to go.
I feel so bad about it, as when the lower parts bloomed last year they were so lovely.

Northbridge, Massachusetts