PlantFiles: Melon
Cucumis melo 'Tasty Bites'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucumis (KOO-koo-mis) (Info)
Species: melo (MEL-oh) (Info)
Cultivar: Tasty Bites

Vegetables

Pale Yellow

71 to 80 days

By jenhillphoto
Thumbnail #1 of Cucumis melo by jenhillphoto

Positive jenhillphoto On Mar 20, 2015, jenhillphoto from Danbury, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

Grew tasty bites last summer (2014) and getting ready to do it again this year. I started seeds early 4/25 in 20 oz cups outdoors, brought indoors at night to avoid frosts when necessary. Planted out in a raised bed 5/25 at the base of a 6 ft tall piece of cattle fencing curled into a cylinder. A little compost for each plant. The plants needed a little encouragement up the fencing. I tied the vine on with stretchy plastic tape that I use to tie up tomato vines. I didn't get as much fruit as anticipated. I think 2-3 per vine. Could be it wasn't an ideal location sun-wise.

The fruit I did get was delicious. I knew it was time to eat them when they fell from the vine, sometimes ripening on the kitchen counter a couple more days. To eat, I cut them in half, scooped out the seeds and ate with a spoon. The flesh was very tender and sweet to the rind.

Will grow again. A delight! Finally a melon I can grow that will ripen in time and not grow huge vines.

Positive hajnalka On Aug 22, 2012, hajnalka from Franklinton, NC wrote:

I grew these in a raised bed in Zone 7. Direct-sown in late April. About 8 healthy vines on a small (8' x 12') double fold-over trellis. I highly recommend them, especially for small-space gardeners because:
1. They're delicious!
2. I got 3-4 melons per vine
3. I didn't have to support the growing/ripening melons onto the trellis/netting because they're so small. When they're ripe they turn tan under their heavy netting, and either fall to the ground (check daily - I almost missed some) or slip off the vine.
4. Had no trouble with disease or pests
5. They seemed to attract a lot of honeybees for the rest of my garden.
6. Ripe melons stored well.

I'll be growing more next year.

Neutral Farmerdill On May 15, 2009, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

AS described by D. Palmer: "Tasty Bites personal size mixed melon seed is a hybrid, mini mixed melon developed through a charantais ananas cross. Characterized by its sweet (brix 15) and strikingly unusual flavor, this mini melon can only be rated as gourmet and adds an attractive and unique touch to any table. Tasty Bites is highly productive and can easily be grown and harvested. Fruit size is about 1 pound, making it ideal for a serving for two."

Danbury, Connecticut