PlantFiles: Giant Flowered Purple Sage
Salvia pachyphylla 'Blue Flame'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Salvia (SAL-vee-uh) (Info)
Species: pachyphylla (pak-ee-FIL-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Blue Flame

» View all varieties of Salvias

Herbs

Dark Blue
Purple

Silver/Gray
Aromatic
Rubbery-Textured

This plant is resistant to deer
Provides winter interest

Positive Sandwichkatexan On Jun 10, 2012, Sandwichkatexan from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

This plant is not for the faint of heart. I have killed seven of them until I finally found a way to make it happy. First large pot , Second sandy gravelly soil, Third no underplanting of any kind! It is from a California so it needs to be dry in summer and wet in winter . only water in summer if absolutely necessary . In our Central Texas humid hot summers it needs excellent air circulation . I will post pictures of it when I get some blooms but the foliage is also very ornamental . If you are a lazy gardener this plant is not for you . This plant must be babied and pampered otherwise you will loose it . The inflorescence is amazing and will get your attention from across the garden !

Negative Kim_M On Jun 24, 2010, Kim_M from Hamburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have never written a negative about any plant. I found this plant very very hard to grow. I moved it 3 times to trying to make it happy. Maybe I watered it too much...I will try it again. As of now the one and only plant I have is dead. I might purchase another one.

Neutral plutodrive On Jun 14, 2009, plutodrive from Denver, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

Site Salvia pachyphylla 'Blue Flame' carefully in zones 5/6. Plant in spring or early summer and give it some water so that it gets established before winter. Needs well draining soil, good air circulation and full sun. Gorgeous plant.

Amesti, California