Yellow Bulbine, Orange Bulbine
Bulbine frutescens 'Tiny Tangerine'

Family: Asphodelaceae (as-foh-del-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Bulbine (BUL-bin-ee) (Info)
Species: frutescens (froo-TESS-enz) (Info)
Cultivar: Tiny Tangerine

Metairie, Louisiana

Shreveport, Louisiana

Youngsville, Louisiana

Livonia, Michigan

Ocean Springs, Mississippi (2 reports)

Como, Texas

Georgetown, Texas

Hallettsville, Texas

Portland, Texas

On Apr 29, 2014, nikesamothrace from Houston, TX wrote:

Does very well in Houston, Texas

On Nov 30, 2013, jeather from Latimer, MS wrote:

This is a wonderful little plant. I got a couple on a clearance rack and threw them in an empty corner of the garden. To say they thrived would be an understatement. A cold winter in zone 8B with overnight temperatures in the low 20's didn't phase them. They bloom basically from last frost to first frost, bees seem to adore them, and they tolerate neglect and poor soil just beautifully. I botched an attempt to divide one of the plants, and the new plant (with almost no roots) somehow survived and is doing just fine. I love a plant that's hard to kill!

On Feb 8, 2012, neverlandnow from Meiners Oaks, CA wrote:

A plant that can survive down to 20 degrees in my book is a pretty hardy plant. A wise gardener knows that everyone's micro-climate is different. Temperature/weather conditions vary neighbor to neighbor. I grow Yellow Bulbine in Ojai and I live in an area that get's quite cold (down to the 20's at night). I have had it for over 8 years. At the most this plant will have some frost damage on the tips of the foliage. It has NEVER completely died. I have this plant in a pot at my cabin in Big Bear, too. I love it. I can go away for months/weeks and NEVER have to water it. I am not sure why 2QandLearn is giving it a neutral score. Perhaps, s/he needs to stick with artificial plants. Bulbine is hardier than most plants. Hopefully s/he will give Bulbine a shot (isn't that what gardeni... read more

On Jan 15, 2012, 2QandLearn from Menifee, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I just saw an ad on Craigslist for the yellow flowered type, & wanted to find out how hardy it is, so went searching, & found this tidbit:

"Bulbine frutescens"
- "Survives to 20F or below but foliage is damaged." http://www.azarboretum.org/plantlist/yellowbulbine.htm

The reason I am 'neutral' is because I had yet to grow it.

I have begun to suspect that some cuttings I was recently gifted are this plant though. I suspect that I will be able to report a positive experience soon. (:

On Aug 1, 2011, LisaMD from Victor Harbor
Australia wrote:

This is a wonderful dry area plant which does not tolerate wet soggy roots in winter. If you live in an area with high winter rainfall, pot or even hang naked rooted in a dry storage area to plant out in spring. This plant can be substituted for aloe vera as a medicinal plant as it has all the same qualities without the thorns. Break off a peice and use on burns or scratches, has spf factor of 6, so you can dab juice on your exposed areas when in the sun. Made into a tincture one can add to burn creams and ointments and helps those non malignant skin cancers too.

On Mar 21, 2011, Ticker48 from Austin, TX wrote:

My orange African Bulbine grew great all last year from Spring to winter but now seems to be dead. It is all mushy & very brown. I did clip back back all the long stems (deadhead) during late winter. Does anyone know if she is just in dormant stage or a goner? It was a beautiful plant for many months until winter. We did have some cold nights but this is TX so they weren't too bad.
Any advice or thoughts is appreciated!

On Mar 10, 2010, ogrejelly from Gilbert, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

Stunning plant (orange more than yellow) when contrasted aganst the rich dark green of the plant. It thrived in Phoenix area for seven months then got beat down by the full sun. It was in a full sun spot and it was just too much for the plant.

I planted two more in filtered sun under a mesquite and they are doing very well and made it through the summer. The other nice thing about this plant is that it seems to bloom very frequently (had flowers in Feb here in PHX) and it is very neat. Zero mess plant.

On Jul 26, 2009, fullsun007 from Gainesville, FL wrote:

I have both the Tangerine and the yellow forms in my yard. The yellow seems to bloom around April-May while the tangerine form will bloom constantly through the height of summer. Both forms of this plant are located in full sun (zone 8B) they received no protection during the winter. This past winter we had 2 nights with back to back temperatures of 21oF and this did not phase them at all, and they remained green all winter. Once established these plants are very xerophytic and adored by bees. I would say that these plants are slightly more hardy than there zone 9A recommendation and well worth trying in zone 8B.