PlantFiles: Woolly Huckleberry
Gaylussacia mosieri

Family: Ericaceae (er-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Gaylussacia (gay-luh-SAY-shee-uh) (Info)
Species: mosieri

Synonym:Lasiococcus mosieri

Positive daesaflgatorfan On Sep 26, 2009, daesaflgatorfan from Sumter, SC wrote:

Growing up in NE Florida, huckleberries were, and still are, abundant. As such, we never cultivated them, since there were plenty on the wooded portions of our property. There are two types in Florida, one low growing, the other taller. Both can actually withstand brief temperature forays into single digits, snow and even sleet, as NE Florida is prone to these conditions upon occasion. They do rebound after a drought as well.

Both types of huckleberries like damp feet, and dappled shade, favoring growing at the edge of ditches and small streams in the company of Gallberries. I've tried to root them with rooting compound a time or two here in South Carolina, to no avail. However, with the advent of Autumn, I'm going to dig up a few from the homestead, and try them in pots in a greenhouse.

I personally prefer huckleberries to blueberries, as the latter are too perfumed for my taste. I also find them a prettier plant than the blueberry.

Tampa, Florida