Smooth Hydrangea, Wild Hydrangea, Sevenbark
Hydrangea arborescens 'Incrediball'

Family: Hydrangeaceae (hy-drain-jee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hydrangea (hy-DRAIN-juh) (Info)
Species: arborescens (ar-bo-RES-senz) (Info)
Cultivar: Incrediball
Additional cultivar information:(PP20571, aka Abetwo)
Hybridized by Wood

Nashville, Tennessee

Amelia Court House, Virginia

Salem, Wisconsin

On Jun 10, 2014, SpringwoodGrdns from Penn Hills, PA wrote:

A great choice of shrub for moderately experienced gardeners. I say this because Incrediball *is* engineered to produce larger blooms than Annabelle, BUT you as the gardener are responsible for providing the right growing conditions to allow for this to happen.

Some tips:
- Allow small plants (~1 gallon or smaller) three years to become mature and established.
- Trim off spent blooms before winter. At the beginning of Spring, cut old wood down to ~2 feet as the plant begins leafing out. Get rid of any extremely thin and spindly old wood. The remaining old wood will produce healthy stems and flowers and will also help hold up new stems as the plant later blooms.
- Provide adequate soil nutrients. Plant in up to 50% composted soil, and/or soil that is go... read more

On Jan 11, 2012, jTelgardener from Mahomet, IL wrote:

I have this plant in full sun where it is thriving. It is two years old, performing very well, and certainly living up to my expectations. I did notice it was a bit floppy the first year, but by the second year most all of the stems were very sturdy. It is planted in average soil, but I made an effort to keep it well watered these past two years, though will probably water less now that it is "settled in." I'm hoping to take some cuttings and start a few more plants around the yard in a partly shaded area.

On Oct 1, 2010, braun06 from Peoria Heights, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Third year in the ground, officially established and the plant has grown huge to 5'. The stems are definitely strong but the flowers are not as huge as I was hoping. As with annabelle you can get huge flowers but location, weather and soils play a huge part of how the flowers themselves grow. I have tons of flowers on my plant but I am lucky to get anything larger than 6" across, have a couple near 7". I don't see any specific reason to offer this plant over Annabelle, if price is a concern go for the one that isn't branded. I don't suspect that side by side you would be able to tell much of a difference except in stem strength. At 5' the flowers do not flop to the ground but do stay upright, even through heavy rain. Newer stems near the ground or the sides do flop however until the... read more

On Aug 25, 2010, Indie from Medway, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I planted one of these this spring in a sheltered site that gets morning sun and afternoon shade. It grew quite a lot and flowered profusely with huge blooms! The branches did still droop somewhat in the rain with the large blooms though. I'm hoping that once it gets more established and older it will have fewer problems with that.

On Jun 5, 2010, msconnie from Hendersonville, TN wrote:

I planted Incrediball this spring here in Middle Tennessee. It gets morning sun and afternoon shade. Since it's the first year I didn't expect much but it is blooming and looks very healthy.