Eastern Coneflower, Eastern Purple Coneflower
Echinacea purpurea 'Firebird'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Echinacea (ek-in-AY-shee-a) (Info)
Species: purpurea (pur-PUR-ee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Firebird

Elba, New York

Norristown, Pennsylvania

negative

On Apr 18, 2011, Gascoigne from Shawnee Mission, KS (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have tried to both grow this from seed as well as from the plant without success. I ordered the plant from terra nova nurseries who cultivated it as well as tried to grow from seed. The seeds sprouted but never thrived despite getting all the attention my purple echy's got. The purples thrived as expected; these new cultivars never made it past large seedlings. I had only slightly better luck with PPAF 'Flame Thrower' from seed, have yet to see whether it makes it. I believe there is a great deal of hyperbole as far as the advertisement of these cultivars, since the true results I have heard about and seen rarely reflect the original representation.

On Aug 19, 2010, weedsfree from Magna, UT (Zone 7a) wrote:

PPAF PVR

On Jul 17, 2010, Whirlwind2000 from Monroe, CT wrote:

I want to thank EQ for the description of the Firebird. I just sent a note to the nursery that I received an incorrect plant as at this moment the plant is yellow, with a green center and the leaves are not reflexed. I hope the flower will change to red as the leaves turn downward as it would give me more faith in the nursery who originally sent me a wrong plant. It looked like this was my second incorrect plant. Prehaps I am wrong. Thanks again for you post.

Whirlwind2000

On Jul 14, 2010, elfenqueen from East Tawas, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

The Firebird begins it's flight with rising green buds. The green stays true as the petals burst forth reaching for the sky....thusly starting an interesting color change as the green petals yellow and start their downward descent.

As the petals flatten and drop, I find myself reminiscent of those beautiful, summer sunsets, the eve lingering through a spectra of oranges as we await the 'grand finale'.

The petals now droop to form the Firebird's known identity pose
~~ the *shuttlecock ~~
Here, reds bleed into the petals deminishing the orange and completing our flight!

I enjoyed all of Firebirds staging and dramatics, Tho I have heard others mention that she may not be as bright a true red as they would have imagined. My flower... read more