Job's Tears, Bead Seeds, Juno's Tears
Coix lacryma-jobi

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Coix (KOH-iks) (Info)
Species: lacryma-jobi (LAK-ry-muh JOB-ee) (Info)

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

USDA Zone 9a: to -6.6 °C (20 °F)

USDA Zone 9b: to -3.8 °C (25 °F)

USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F)

USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)

Green

Inconspicuous/none

Veined

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

Scarify seed before sowing

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Menlo Park, California

Mayaguez, Puerto Rico

Westmoreland, Tennessee

On Nov 8, 2012, Shirrush from Ramat Gan
Israel wrote:

A few Job's Tears beads "stuck to my fingers" when I visited Paris' Jardin des Plantes last month. I've sown four of them in two pots filled with my usual seedling mixture. Two of these seeds were lightly scarified with a nail file to aid germination. A full week has passed since then. Does anybody know how long this plant takes to emerge at around 20 Celsius? Nobody grows Coix lacryma-jobi here in Central Israel, and I really want our Community Garden to be the first!

By the way, if you happen to be in Paris, the Jardin des Plantes and the nearby Muséum d'Histoire Naturelle are a must! Seriously!

On Jul 1, 2010, AngieSollecito from Menlo Park, CA wrote:

I was given 2 seeds while on vacation in Antigua in 2007. I kept the seeds for 2 and a half years on my dresser, and decided to try and propagate them in 2009. The first seed sprouted and then died shortly after. The second seed took a month to sprout, but now it is an extremely healthy 2 feet tall with several off-shoots at the base.
I had no idea what the plant was for the longest time so I tried a google search for "grass with hard gray seeds" or something like that, and I actually got results back and was able to find out the name of my mystery grass. Apparently it is very rare in California, and nobody knows what it is here. I am glad to have this plant.

On Nov 24, 2009, ismaelm from Mayagüez
Puerto Rico wrote:

My goodness! This plant is known in Puerto Rico as "camándulas." They used to be found near streams. I haven't seen them since the 1980s, something must have happened...Our native dwellers (the Tainos) used them as decorations such as necklaces, wrist bands and ankle bands.
The seeds are wonderful! Their color can turn from almost white (gray) to a dark purple.

On Aug 25, 2008, wind from Mount Laurel, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

I started this from seed from a DG seed swap. It is growing well in a large pot on our front porch, surrounded by purple petunias along the base. It sort of reminds me of a short corn stalk; stays green all summer and is just now showing its bead seeds (Aug. 25). I plan on overwintering it indoors.

On Jun 6, 2007, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

While Job's Tears are one of my favorites to grow each
year, I find they can be tricky to get going at times.

Simply fill a pot (with drainholes) of your choice with good
quality soil, set the pot in standing water and poke the seeds
into the soil. I've grown Job's in many different ways, but find
this to be a foolproof method, provided the temperatures are
not too cool. Great pot to sink (not submerge completely) into
one's pond.

In a short time, all of the sprouts will appear and thrive well.

KM

On May 10, 2006, kennyso from Markham, ON (Zone 5b) wrote:

These are used to make rosaries and other prayer beads. Rosaries made from these are a great hit with the people at my church. Mother Theresa was extremely fond of these seeds. The late pope John Paul II and Bl. Mother Theresa are often pictured holding a rosary madefrom these.

On Oct 27, 2001, Crimson from Clarksville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

The Japanese name - Juzu Dama - means Buddhist rosary beads.

On Sep 5, 2001, Badseed from Hillsboro, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant is usually grown for it's pearl or stone looking seeds. They have been used for centuries as beads for jewelry ('Good Luck' necklaces) and rosaries. The seeds when ripe can be any color from pearly gray to pure black. The mature seeds grow with a pre-made hole through the center and can be stained with common wood stains. The plant itself is often grown as an ornamental grass that somewhat resembles corn. It easily grows four or more feet tall in my zone 6 garden and does manage to leave a few seeds to self seed the following year.
In the Orient, the seeds are eaten as a cereal called "Adlay". This plant is a perennial there, as well as in zones 9 and 10, but grown elsewhere as an annual. In these warmer climates, Job's Tears can easily reach ten feet tall.
... read more