PlantFiles: Trumpet Creeper
Campsis radicans 'Crimson Trumpet'

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Campsis (KAMP-sis) (Info)
Species: radicans (RAD-ee-kans) (Info)
Cultivar: Crimson Trumpet

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

No positives

Neutral MER1972 On Aug 16, 2012, MER1972 from Ottawa, ON

Thanks for your comments about this plant, everyone. You had me in stitches!!!!!!!

I have an unsightly telephone pole (with TWENTY SEVEN wires radiating out of it) at the back of my garden, wedged behind my shed and the neighbour's detached garage. I wanted to plant honeysuckly but thought there wouldn't be enough sun. Then I thought of Virginia Creeper but it doesn't have blooms. I hit upon Trumpet Creeper and thought it would be the perfect compromise!

But you have me thinking better of it. I thought its invasiveness wouldn't be an issue, seeing as it's 30 yards away from any house, but now that I've read how it pops up in your lawn and flowerbeds and under concrete floors (including presumably the neighbour's garage), I've decided that the better part of valour is discretion. I shall look into Virginia Creeper and Honeysuckle again.

Regarding the latter, maybe setting up a full-length mirror next to it might give it enough sun until it grows tall enough to reach over the roof of the shed? Or is this wishful thinking?