PlantFiles: Sunshine Mimosa, Powderpuff, Sensitive Plant
Mimosa strigillosa

Family: Mimosaceae
Genus: Mimosa (mim-MOH-suh) (Info)
Species: strigillosa (strig-ill-OH-sa) (Info)

Groundcovers

Thumbnail #6 of Mimosa strigillosa by Equilibrium

By IslandJim
Thumbnail #7 of Mimosa strigillosa by IslandJim

Positive casnavy On Jul 29, 2014, casnavy from Taylors, SC wrote:

Just found a bunch of these plants on the sloping edge of our driveway (in an area about 4-5 feet around. I thought they were a bunch of tiny Mimosa trees. Then I realized that there weren't any Mimosa trees nearby for soo many to be seedlings of. I thought, happily, that they just might be some sort of ground cover in the mimosa family. And, amazingly, they are! The type that are growing here in Greenville, SC (near Paris Mountain) have tiny YELLOW flowers! They do have the sensitive response to both sun and touch. I just hope that they are hardy enough to last through the winter here, as it seems this plant is more native to warmer climes. I will try to upload a picture of it with the tiny yellow flower. Does anyone in the Greenville, SC area have luck with these through the winter? And how to you protect it, care for it? Thanks!

Positive NeilPorter4u On Jul 4, 2012, NeilPorter4u from North Fort Myers, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

kfridizzle's experiment growing vegetables in soil where Mimosa strigillosa was growing is very intriguing and one that I want to try as well. I wonder if the better results are from the plant's fixing of nitrogen in the soil.

I just bought three packs of cowpea seeds to accomplish that and to create a mulch in an area of total sand that was under a huge Brazilian Pepper for many years. I had planned on replacing the adjacent lawn of weeds with Mimosa strigillosa. Now I think I'll plant Mimosa strigillosa in the vegetable-garden area as well among the cowpeas.

Positive kfridizzle On Jul 1, 2012, kfridizzle from Tampa, FL wrote:

I bought a few of these plants when I decided I was done with grass and over the past few years these few plants have managed to cover about 50 percent of my yard through growth and cuttings. To speed things up a bit I planted a handful of cuttings into my raised vegetable garden when it was too hot for tomatoes. The SM took off and grew like crazy. I've had to trim it back several times and use the trimmings to continue filling in my lawn. When I decided to plant corn, sweet potatoes, and green peas this year I did a little experiment. In one planter I cleared out the SM but in another I left it and just planted my seedlings amongst the mat because it seemed to keep the soil moist and act like a mulch. Much to my surprise the crops intercropped with the Sunshine Mimosa did a lot better in my south facing South Tampa summer garden than the crops not intercropped. More seedlings survived and those seedlings had better yields.

Positive mgarr On Mar 15, 2007, mgarr from Hanover Twp., PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I first received this plant at a plant sale. It quickly grew and flowered, producing many seeds which I left on the plant. The next year while weeding in late June I noticed something move and there were tiny new plants. This dies back completely in my zone but will self seed.
The children love this plant because the leaves fold up, they love to watch a plant move.

Positive 1cros3nails4gvn On Feb 5, 2007, 1cros3nails4gvn from Bluffton, SC (Zone 9a) wrote:

i have seen this groowin as a weed, but a weed that i like cuz it is fun to make the leaves close and the flowers look cool. i used to test different things like bugs or the light from a magnifying glass on the leaves or fire from a match (im a pyromaniac) to see what would make the leaves close. i mainly saw pink ones but i have also seen white and yellow ones growing. the yellow one was in Georgia while the rest were in Carolina del Sur (South Carolina in Spanish. i learned that today in Spanish class. i think it sounds cool).

Positive picturebug On Jul 15, 2006, picturebug from Seneca, SC wrote:

I found it growing wild in the mountains of South Carolina. And also found near my home in Seneca SC. I live 45 minutes from the first sighting, which was on a dirt road near a river.

Positive htop On Jul 27, 2005, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

(Also known as Verguenza, Herbaceous Mimosa)
Usually growing 3 to 4 inches tall, this native plant is a legume that fixes nitrogen in addition to functioning as a fast growing, mat-forming, evergreen groundcover and can even be substituted for lawn grass. It spreads by rhizomes, can be mowed, usually has bristles (but no spines) and tolerates foot traffic. It grows in sun and light shade and adapts to a wide range of soil acidity levels as well as moisture levels.

Performing best in loamy or sandy soils, it can adapt to about any type of soil. It has excellent salt and drought tolerance and is a great xeriscape plant. Its tiny, fern-like leaves fold back when touched or when there is a strong vibration near them. Showy, globe-shaped, reddish-pink to lavender-rose colored, 1 inch wide blooms are held straight up above the foliage.

In its natural habitats, it can be found in open areas in sandy woodlands, along stream or lake banks, mixed in with brush and along roadsides. It serves as a larval food source for the Little Sulphur, White-striped Longtail Skipper, Mimosa Yellow and Reakirt's Blue butterfly caterpillars. The foliage is browsed by white-tailed deer and cattle.

Note: I want to emphasize that this plant does not have thorns (has soft prickles) so do not confuse it with a young sensitive briar (Mimosa malacophylla) plant.

Positive dragonaudra On Apr 28, 2004, dragonaudra from Port Arthur, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

When I was growing up in Central Texas near Fort Hood, I saw this plant everywhere. Mostly in fields and pastures, but never in flower beds or landscape. I thought it was just a weed, but I loved to play with it. I would sit and touch the leaves to watch as they folded up or pick the flowers because they were soft and fuffy. Anyways, just thought I would share this because I think it is a neat and interactive plant to have.

Positive ButterflyGardnr On Jan 9, 2003, ButterflyGardnr from Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I planted this in the front corner of my yard as a ground cover to replace St. Augustine grass. It spreads quickly. One 4" container plant will grow enough to cover about 10 square feet in a years' time. It needs regular water while it is being established in a landscape but once established, it is drought tolerant. When the plant is touched, the leaves fold up and it looks like the plant is all stems. This is an adaptation to prevent herbivory.

Mobile, Alabama
Boca Raton, Florida
Cape Coral, Florida
Clearwater, Florida (3 reports)
Gainesville, Florida
Oldsmar, Florida
Orlando, Florida
Riverview, Florida
Safety Harbor, Florida
Saint Petersburg, Florida (2 reports)
Sanford, Florida
Sarasota, Florida (3 reports)
Satellite Beach, Florida
Tampa, Florida
Venice, Florida (2 reports)
West Palm Beach, Florida (2 reports)
Norcross, Georgia
Vieques, Puerto Rico
Beaufort, South Carolina
Bluffton, South Carolina
Greenville, South Carolina
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina (2 reports)
Lexington, South Carolina