PlantFiles: Butterfly Bush, Oxford Bush, Cambridge Bush
Rotheca myricoides 'Ugandense'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rotheca (roth-EE-kuh) (Info)
Species: myricoides (mir-ih-KOY-deez) (Info)
Cultivar: Ugandense

By Happenstance
Thumbnail #7 of Rotheca myricoides by Happenstance

Positive samburuplants On Nov 15, 2013, samburuplants from archers post
Kenya wrote:

This is a highly important medicinal plant for the Samburu people of Kenya. My team is trying to produce a small plant guide to help preserve cultural information regarding this and other species. Unfortunately, none of the wild plants were in flower when we were at out field site. Would anyone be able to send me a photo of the flowers of Clerodendrum myricoides that I could include in our plant guide?(include any informational you would like me to put in the acknowledements aswell). My facebook page is "Samburu Plants" -thank you

Positive Eleonora69 On May 24, 2012, Eleonora69 from Toronto

I bout this plant 1 month ago at http://www.floraexotica.ca , it is 2' only but nonstop bloomer. I keep it in shade on my balcony and give some Calcium with fertilizer. Hire in Canada, when the winter'll come, I'll put it on my window. Easy to maintain but I think it doesn't like direct sun during the summer and cold air as well.
No picture can show the beauty of this plant. It is so delicate for touch and for yes. All my friend admire it too . Excellent houseplant!

Positive ruthmary On Oct 10, 2010, ruthmary from auckland
New Zealand wrote:

I found this plant growing in a public garden in NZ, so being very keen on it I waited until the seeds were ripe and 'stole' some. I washed off the soft outer part and dried the inner hard seed which I then kept for maybe six months until we had moved to our new house. They germinated well and I had a lovely collection of plants. Unfortunately due to moving around I have lost all my plants and am currently trying to find a supplier. It does well here in New Zealand in the North Island where we are virtually frost free, though where I got the seed from sometimes had quite heavy frost, and it abviously survived ok.

Negative Sunrise_Garden On May 12, 2010, Sunrise_Garden from Gainesville, FL wrote:

Wow, I hate to be a party pooper, but my experience with this plant in Central Florida hasn't been nearly as positive. Perhaps ours didn't receive enough direct sun (about 5 hours a day), but it didn't put out flowers until right before the frost. I did not fertilize it, so any it received was left from the orginal potting soil it came in (it grew lots of dark green leaves, just no blooms).

Then came the biggest disappointment: I bought it primarily as a butterfly nectar plant (listed as "outstanding" on several websites).... but all it attracted were tons of wasps! People were drawn close by the gorgeous flowers, but then immediately repelled by the wasps & the risk of being stung. Meanwhile, a firespike bush nearby was covered with butterflies!

Yes, the flowers are lovely when they finally arrive, but if your primary purpose is to add to a butterfly garden, I'd recommend something else. Especially firespike!

Positive fullsun007 On Jul 25, 2009, fullsun007 from Gainesville, FL wrote:

This Clerodendrum sometimes referred to as blue butterflies for obvious reasons, is a great plant. Becoming more readily available at nurseries. I have several of these plants in my yard (zone 8B) and they begin flowering from late June until first frost. They can take a harsh pruning which can result in another round of more vigorous flowering. This year we had 2 nights with back to back lows of 21oF which killed them to the ground. New growth started emerging around mid April and by the end of July some branches are over 8 feet tall. They can be cut when 2-3 feet high to force branching make it bushier. Unlike other clerodendrums (here in north Florida) Ugandense is not invasive. If you want to attract bees into your yard this plant will do the trick. The flowers are exquisite and guarantee to turn heads, well worth trying this plant in zone 8.

Positive dillansnana On Apr 29, 2009, dillansnana from Hemet, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I like others bought this plant at WalMart. Could not resist the fasinating flowers. Read some of the plant files about softwood cuttings, so we took the plunge and cut off some of the leggy branches a couple of months ago, My DH stuck about 8 of them in the ground. A couple of days later I pulled them up to put "Root tone" on them, which my DH had not done. Well today "Glory be to God" we have leaves growing on about 4 of these cuttings. WOW, what a wonderful suprise. We are kind of new to "serious gardening" and this is (to say the least) very encouraging. look forward to sharing this wonderful plant with friends and other empty spots in our yard

Neutral haika On Oct 29, 2008, haika from Snohomish, WA wrote:

This plant is doing OK in my sunroom, but the flowers only last one day and it's not that generous with it's flowers. If I was offered this plant knowing what I know now, I'd pass. I can use the space for something much more interesting.

Positive mrickett On Jun 21, 2008, mrickett from Lawrenceville, GA wrote:

I purchased two of these at WalMart last year. They are both standards. I kept them in pots outside all summer (Zone 7). I overwintered them in my unheated garage taking them out for some sun on warm days. Most of the leaves fell off. I took them back outside once the temperatures remained above freezing. They are once again in full bloom and an excellent source of nectar for bees, butterflies and the occasional hummingbird. It is an easy to care for plant. It does not mind the heat and if it does wilt from lack of water a quick drink revives it. What I like most about this plant is the delicate flowers.

Neutral lee_ro On Oct 12, 2007, lee_ro from Raleigh, NC wrote:

(zone 7, Raleigh NC) This beautiful plant caught my eye in Home Depot this past Sunday the 7th, where it was being sold as a small tree (appx 5ft high with a baby or two growing in the pot). The employees there knew nothing about it, not even its name. I adored it, with its small, pretty blue butterfly shaped flowers, but no one employed at the time could tell me how to take care of it.

After I bought it a different employee came up and told me it was a tropical and needed to be brought inside during cold months in our area. Other than that, like the rest of them, he knew nothing about it. D'oh!!! I didn't want a houseplant, I wanted it in my garden! I've never had luck with flowering houseplants for some reason-- I'm chalking it up to not having the right windows or something-- but everything flourishes in my gardens. So I stood in line and returned it.

I came home and Googled "small blue butterfly shaped flowers" and discovered the name of the plant. I read all over how easy it is to grow, even as a houseplant. The pictures of the unique, cute, healthy flowers thriving amongst the shiny green leaves convinced me-- I had to have it, even as a houseplant. So I went back to Home Depot and bought it again, and this time took it home!

I have it in front of a window on the east side of my house-- it's the best window in the house for light. It is now Thursday the 11th and my plant has already lost all of its flowers and the buds are all dropping off!! D'oh!! What am I doing wrong? The leaves look okay. I haven't given in too much water because all the instructions for care I've read say not to overwater, but it's not overly dry either. I'm disappointed already. At least Home Depot has a one year warranty...

Positive ceejaytown On Aug 28, 2007, ceejaytown from The Woodlands, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Beautiful shrub that is root hardy in this area. Cut back to ground in winter, and prune to encourage bushiness as it grows. Otherwise it will get tall, lanky canes that tend to fall over. Mine has full sun until about 1 PM.

Positive CaGardenLuvr On Jul 11, 2007, CaGardenLuvr from La Grange / Don Pedro, CA wrote:

I picked up one of these beautiful specimens at Wal-Mart & have had it for 3 years now. I grow it in a pot due to very hard clay dirt in my locale. This plant is my favorite. Very low maintenance & sooo pretty. I cut this plant back to a nub the first winter I had it, I thought I had killed it but refused to throw it away & it came back bigger & healthier than before. I may plant it in a bigger pot so it will grow bigger than the 2 feet it is slowly approaching.

Positive Sheila965 On May 14, 2007, Sheila965 from Rincon, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant is a tender perennial in Zone 8b. I keep it in a well-drained pot and bring it in when the weather gets cold and keep it on my screened in porch. It lived and I moved it back out when the weather warmed up.

Very profuse bloomer and intriguing flower. Adds a unique character to the garden!

Positive 1cros3nails4gvn On Apr 21, 2007, 1cros3nails4gvn from Bluffton, SC (Zone 9a) wrote:

I saw a huge bush of this growing under a deodar cedar at the SC state capitol in Columbia, South Carolina. zone 8a/8b
it was about 3 years ago, and ive been wondering what it was all this time

Positive gardengirl1960 On Oct 16, 2006, gardengirl1960 from Seabrook, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I am so very happy to have this plant! I have been looking for it for a long time and finally got a big one Sat.
I have not planted it yet but I will plant it in a semi sun area.
Tricia

Positive periann On Oct 8, 2006, periann from Tempe, AZ wrote:

I saw these last year in Hong Kong in a public gardens and thought they were incredible. I just found one at Baker's Nursery in Phoenix and planted it this weekend.
Hope it does well, I am optimistic here in Phoenix, AZ

Positive Maydreams27 On Aug 10, 2006, Maydreams27 from Port Saint Lucie, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Last week my plant was just beautiful and then we had a really hard rain and now it is naked. Since it enjoys partial sun, may be nice under a high trellis that may protect it from the rain.

Positive boomertoo On Jul 31, 2006, boomertoo from Foley, AL wrote:

I have had this wonderful plant for two years and just this a.m. found out on Google what it was and how to get other variations of it. My friends all over the U. S. wanted information. I'd sent out pictures on email of the bees & butterflies working the flowers. I have Happenstance, a 5x5 ft bush here and want Floridian to try to prune to tree shape along the back of my garden. I'm in Foley, Alabama. Just at the northern edge of the coastal area. It dies back in winter and pops right back in spring. This is a great plant!!

Positive barriosj On Jun 22, 2006, barriosj from Des Allemands, LA wrote:

Joanne Barrios, Des Allemands, La. (zone 9)

This is my most favorite of all plants. It was given to me as a gift, and I have sucessfully made several cuttings from it and shared it with friends. It will be a rare addition to the D.A. Catfish Festival every July! See you at the plant booth!

Positive BDunn On Apr 29, 2006, BDunn from Sunset Beach, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I just purchased this at a local nursery (so I guess you can find it sometimes in a nursery) and THEN read the comments (kinda' like the cart before the horse). It sure is sweet. Most have said "part sun" and others say "sun". I'm so short on shade I may have to try it in more sun and see how it does.

Positive casacalibri On Mar 7, 2006, casacalibri from Baton Rouge, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I purchased my butterfly flower while I was living in Pensacola, Florida 1-1/2 years ago. I have moved back to my home of Baton Rouge, Louisiana on 12/31/04. I dug up and moved the bush with me since it was still small. I have had great success with it here. I just dug it up to move it to a better location and found I had two plants which appeared to be one (nice bonus). It overwintered here very well, even through several hard freezes. All it did was lose it's leaves. I have never seen these for sale in nurseries, but think they should be.

Neutral Gabrielle On Feb 10, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

This plant gets its name from its 2 toned blue butterfly-shaped flowers.

Positive dmj1218 On Feb 4, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This shrub does wonderfully in the ground here in west Houston. Blooms constantly from May until frost. It always freezes back to ground level every winter for me. New growth commences from ground level (not on old wood). The plant is a good 8' tall and about 6' wide here. I love it and would not be without one! Bees particularly love it. In fact, it's one of the biggest bee magnets in my yard.

A superb plant for light and dark blue contrasting blooms. Also a great backdrop for other, lower growing plants and flowers.

Positive michaeladenner On Oct 8, 2005, michaeladenner from Deland, FL wrote:

Hardy, dependable, showy -- like its relative, the Pagoda Flower (C. paniculatum), it flowers here in 9a in mid- to late-summer, when many other flowers have burned out or are dormant. I have mine in full sun now, but I know from observation that they grow better with some sun, and require less water. It roots so easily that cutting can be jammed into the ground, where they'll rapidly root in damp, warm weather (which is about 8 months of the year here...). I've never seen this plant for sale in the nurseries or home centers -- it's a pass-along plant.
A really elegant flower, but not much impact from a distance -- plant this somewhere for close observation or use it for a cut flower.

Positive DaisyJen On May 2, 2005, DaisyJen from Pensacola, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

It was hard to believe that I received the top Horticulture Award of Excellence in a flower show. I planted it in an area where I dump raked leaves for use later, and it did get about 10' tall. It grows where there is part sun and shade. I didn't know that it can be trimmed, and I will certainly do that to make it bushier. I recommend this plant, but plant it where it will have plenty of room to grow. I don't have any problems with pests and so far I haven't seen it being an invasive plant like some Cleredendrums.

DaisyJen

Positive DawnRain On May 2, 2005, DawnRain from Bartow, FL wrote:

This is one of my most highly rated plants because it is always in bloom and excels in easy care in the pot or in the ground. You will lose it if ground is flooded for long periods, but it withstands drought easily. It is a perfect pot plant and takes trimming very well. Those trimmings easily become new plants to share. One of my MUST haves, it will always be a part of my garden. DR

Negative theresamendoza On May 1, 2005, theresamendoza from Hesperia, CA (Zone 8a) wrote:

In zone 8a, I tried to grow this plant in a large pot with morning sun and afternoon shade. It grew beautifully all summer but despite adding a mulch of pine needles, it has not come back this year. Should probably be treated as an annual anywhere colder than zone 9b.

Positive gordo On Nov 29, 2004, gordo from Gulfport, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This clerdendrum is a real show stopper! Here on the west coast of Central Florida, it enjoys a part sun location and reasonable watering. Soil should be well drained, as too much moisture will kill it. Reproduction is through seed or cuttings, the later preferrable. Cuttings may be rooted in a glass of water, sand, or damp seed starting mix. No hormone powder required. Pruning keeps it chubby and flowering. With patience it may also be trained into a specimen tree. See photo. Higly recommend this one!

Positive Happenstance On Aug 27, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

Clerodendrum ugandense, (Blue Butterfly Flower) is an upright grower, with canes which can reach 10' tall, though the height is usually under 6';plants are easily kept shorter by shearing.

Practically everblooming, with 1" blue-violet flowers on long, thin stalks at the tops of the plants. Flowers are reminiscent of butterflies in shape. Plant in rich, moist, well drained soil in partial shade. Zones 8-11.

Positive TX_js On Jul 12, 2003, TX_js from Missouri City, TX wrote:

I have observed that plant form seems to vary, but flowers remain unchanged. I have a specimen from Florida that has thickened ovate leaves with smooth margins, woody stems and a specimen from Houston that is more herbaceous: thinner, fuzzier leaves (oval with serrated margins), square stems on new growth at ends of branches, non-woody.branches. Both plants have identical flowers, borne in the same manner.

Positive ohmysweetpjs On Feb 11, 2003, ohmysweetpjs from Brookeville, MD wrote:

A long time bloomer with flowers one right after the other. A nice tropical plant to have. Okay to keep indoors in a colder climate as it can be pruned nicely. Aphids are a problem though.

Neutral justmeLisa On Sep 5, 2001, justmeLisa from Brewers, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

This shrub is an evergreen shrub in the deep coastal south. Its dark green glossy leaves are 4 inches long and the pistil and stamens arch outward and upward, looking like butterflies.

Foley, Alabama
Brooksville, Florida
Clearwater, Florida
Deland, Florida
Dunnellon, Florida
Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2 reports)
Gainesville, Florida
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Sebring, Florida
Titusville, Florida
Wellborn, Florida
West Palm Beach, Florida (2 reports)
Zephyrhills, Florida
Cordele, Georgia
Lake Park, Georgia
Lizella, Georgia
Rincon, Georgia
Hawaiian Paradise Park, Hawaii
Honolulu, Hawaii
Derby, Kansas
Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)
Des Allemands, Louisiana
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Marrero, Louisiana
Thibodaux, Louisiana
Zachary, Louisiana
Mathiston, Mississippi
Ocean Springs, Mississippi (2 reports)
Saucier, Mississippi
Galveston, Texas
Georgetown, Texas
Grapeland, Texas
Hallettsville, Texas
La Porte, Texas (2 reports)
Missouri City, Texas
New Braunfels, Texas
Rosenberg, Texas (2 reports)
Shepherd, Texas
Spring, Texas (2 reports)
Willis, Texas