PlantFiles: Abutilon, Flowering Maple
Abutilon 'Tiger Eye'

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Abutilon (a-BEW-tih-lon) (Info)
Cultivar: Tiger Eye

Thumbnail #5 of Abutilon  by Kell

Thumbnail #6 of Abutilon  by Kell

Thumbnail #7 of Abutilon  by Kell

Positive zproram On Sep 7, 2014, zproram from Vancouver, WA wrote:

I love mine! We brought it home from the farmers market about 2 months ago.. Had it in a big pot inside with no sunlight and had 1 bloom and then nothing. Didn't bloom anymore nor bud so we put it outside.
From there it started growing a bit but wilted in the sun and only looked good in the morning after the night of no sunlight.. continued wilting and not growing at all in the sunlight so moved it across the porch. Gets light but no direct sunlight. We saw a HUGE growth when doing this..tons of new leaves and it got a lot bigger but still no buds. I put it back in the sunlight yesterday thinking it might do good again but went out this morning and the entire thing had wilted..every single leaf. I watered it and just over a couple hours looks better but... Every time we go to the farmers market we see the one they have and it has a TON of buds.. ours only had the one.
Any suggestions?

Positive jv123 On Mar 11, 2014, jv123 from Vancouver, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I can vouch for this plant's hardiness. It was absolutely fine down to about 15 degrees. We saw about 12 degrees this winter and that fried this Abutilon. It was kind of funny, there was such an instant difference at around that point. We'd been getting cold at night, down about to 18 or 19 and it was still blooming. Then one night went unusually low and BAM! Dead. I'm still growing them, but now I've got them in pots now too.

Positive FlaFlower On Jul 5, 2013, FlaFlower from Miami Dade, FL (Zone 11) wrote:

I love love LUV this shrub!! I planted it in an area where I could watch the garden from my laundry room, while folding laundry I get to watch the hummers have a blast, the cardinals bounce threw it as well. It does have a leggy growth habit, but if it was thick and lush the lamp shade like flowers wouldn't appear to be hovering in mid air dancing and I suspect it would be harder for the birds to get to the flowers as well...it does not tolerate full shade by the way, I don't know who decided that in the discription it needs a fair amount of light!

Positive r_doll On Jun 26, 2012, r_doll from Modesto, CA wrote:

I mistakenly posted to abutilon "Magic Lantern", which resembles this Tiger Eye. Tiger Eye, however, is broader across the center part of the blossom, giving it a "Tiffany lamp" shape (rather than the more slender Magic Lantern).

I originally grew this with a northern exposure that had at least 4 hours of direct sun under an awning. It thrived in loamy soil, growing to 10 feet tall but was rather leggy. I rooted a woody cutting and transplanted it the next year in a western exposure against a fence, again in loamy soil. The leaves wilt in the hot afternoon sun, but they perk up in early evening. Rather than risk losing it, I'll replant it where it won't be so exposed to the searing sun of of a Modesto summer afternoon, and see what happens when I pinch the tops at about 3 feet tall. I love the flowers and foliage, and so do the hummingbirds.

Positive hannah82 On Mar 9, 2012, hannah82 from Brea, CA wrote:

The flowers on this plant are loaded with nectar and attracts many hummingbirds. Here in SoCal (zone 10) it flowers year-round with the biggest flush in late winter/early spring. This plant has grown quite large in the ground (approx. 10 ft. tall); it has a gangly growth habit despite being given optimum lighting/growing conditions. However, the flowers are so plenteous and beautiful that I don't mind its awkward appearance. I guess it adds to its 'character'.

A quick update: I have recently noticed a pair of hooded orioles drinking nectar from the blooms of my Tiger Eye. I think they spotted it because of the orangey color of the flowers (orioles are attracted to orange). They are such beautiful birds!

Positive Kell On Jul 1, 2010, Kell from Northern California, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Abutilons are very easy to grow both inside and outside. They will bloom repeatedly all year in my moderate zone 9B with the heaviest flushes being in the early summer. Many of these will withstand some frost. Hummingbirds adore this plant.

Here they will grow into a small tree if pruned to do so or a very large bush.

Brea, California
Carlsbad, California
Fairview, California
La Mesa, California
Modesto, California
Pittsburg, California
Torrance, California
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Vancouver, Washington (2 reports)