Orange Hummingbird Mint, Jewel of the Sierra Madre, Hyssop
Agastache aurantiaca

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Agastache (ah-gas-TAH-kee) (Info)
Species: aurantiaca (aw-ran-ti-AYE-kuh) (Info)

Coral/Apricot

Cathan, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

Vashon, Washington

On Jan 30, 2014, hitchingpost770 from COTOPAXI, CO wrote:

Started mine from seed last year. Very small plants transplanted well, weekly watering with drip irrigation. Bloomed first year and were very popular with our hummingbirds. Slow growth after transplanting. Rabbits seem uninterested while eating everything else in the garden. Looking forward to bigger plants this year.

On Jul 29, 2007, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

Another very beautiful Agastache! I love everything about it! Hummers love it too!

On Jul 12, 2005, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

In a Dutch garden this agastache is doing great also. i 've planted out a few seedling previous summer and it has survived our wet winter with temps occasionally down to -20C (lowest temp in past 40 years)..so it's a little tough one too. I find it very elegant and suitable to grow along my path and it does 'nt seed so much around like A. foeniculum and A. rugosa. This one is way more sophisticated !

On Apr 19, 2005, GreenLife from (Zone 10b) wrote:

The orange hummingbird mint is one of my favorites because it is very popular with the hummingbirds. While there are plenty of hummingbird friendly flowers in the garden, the hummingbirds invariably make a beeline towards the orange mint before drinking from the others. Also, the flowers are ubiquitous and low maintenance. To the poster who asked where they can be bought, I bought mine from the High Country Gardens internet site. They have a diverse selection of agastaches.

On Oct 4, 2003, ZANDALEE from Tulsa, OK wrote:

I live in N.E. Oklahoma & have had tremendous success with this plant. It has been by far my favorite plant this year. It started blooming mid summer & hasn't stopped yet. Beautiful foliage, fast grower, easy care, pleasant scent & gorgeous salmon colored flowers. Hummingbirds, bees & butterflies love this plant as much as I do. I get so many compliments on this plant & plan to add more of it to my garden next year. Would be stunning en masse but make sure that it gets plenty of sun. The only thing I can't figure out is why I don't see more of it planted in this area since it appears to be perfectly suited to grow here.

On Apr 9, 2003, eustace1 wrote:

I love the agastache aurantiaca and would like to add it to my garden. Where can I buy this plant?

On Mar 19, 2002, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

Orange hummingbird mint is a native to the southwestern U.S. Its gray-green foliage has a strong mint fragrance. In late summer it produces spikes of orange-pink tubular flowers that will attract hummingbirds to the garden. It prefers full sun and a well-drained soil with adequate moisture.