PlantFiles: Petunia
Petunia 'Pretty Much Picasso'

Genus: Petunia (peh-TEWN-ya) (Info)
Cultivar: Pretty Much Picasso
Additional cultivar information: (PP21649 CAN4078; SupertuniaŽ series, aka BHTUN31501, Pretty Much PicassoŽ)
Registered or introduced: 2009

USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F)
USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)
USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

Chartreuse (Yellow-Green)

Thumbnail #5 of Petunia  by DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #6 of Petunia  by DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #7 of Petunia  by DaylilySLP

Negative danimart On Aug 18, 2014, danimart from Toronto

These are beautiful, but when wet, they smell like dog poop. Will not plant again.

Neutral tonyv414 On Aug 23, 2013, tonyv414 from Milwaukee, WI wrote:

I bought a few of these and other "supertunias" online this year from a nursery in Indiana. All survived well and have flowered continuously and profusely but they all do seem to smell like manure. Since I have them all in containers, I thought at first it might be my potting soil, but after reading several other online comments, I guess it really is the plant's odor itself. I never really cared for the scent of any petunias, but these supertunia varieties seem to smell particularly foul. Perhaps it is because they are self dead-heading and the smell comes from the accumulated build-up of spent flowers and leaves decaying in the pot.
As for supertunias in general - they are nice colors and fine bloomers but the flowers are small compared to most other modern petunia varieties. The blooms are about twice the size of an average calibrachoa bloom which makes them less noticeable from a distance, even with bright colors.

Negative cafox On Jul 10, 2013, cafox from Rocky River, OH wrote:

These petunias are absolutely gorgeous looking, but the smell is horrendous!!! I have several baskets along our fence and filled the baskets with these petunias along with other flowers. For weeks we tried to figure out what the horrible smell was. It smells like doggy doo doo!! Then we thought it was our garbage cans. Finally, my husband figured out it was the petunias. We have had a substantial amount of rain here, so I am going to let them dry out and be careful not to wet the leaves or flowers when I water in the future . . . maybe that will help!! Glad I found this website . . . thought I was going crazy with these horrible smelling flowers!!

Positive smanan On May 6, 2013, smanan from Coram, NY wrote:

I am a little confused by all the postings about the bad smell on these, that I just created an account so I can post my review. I bought one yesterday and the main reason is because I couldn't leave the plant since it has such a sweet smell; I touched the plant because of the beautiful flowers, I had to know the name of it, I then left to another area and started to smell a tropical fruit which at first I thought was mango, I keep looking around and realized the smell was on my hands. I just had to turn around and got the biggest container about 18" round filled with these trailing beauties. When I put the flowers on my car I got intoxicated by the sweet smell and soon realized it was not mango but guava. I loved it. It did smelled very strong that I had to open the car windows but nothing like dirty feet or dog poop, it was all sweet guava. It is actually a hummingbird favorite and it must be because of how delicious and sweet the plant smells. I had about 5 people smell the plant and we all agreed that it was the sweetest smelling flowers ever. I will water the plant tonight as soon as I get home and see if I can smell anything bad, I will then update my post.

Positive M2mom On May 2, 2013, M2mom from Salem, SC wrote:

Never ending flowers! I also have NEVER had any bad odors from these plants. Morning, noon, night ... hot, wet, dry, cool ... no odor (good or bad) ever. I have an awesome sense of smell often smelling an odor when nobody else can. Magnificent performer, much better than any other petunias I have grown.

Negative vossner On Dec 7, 2012, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I was considering buying a pot of this petunia and remembering the numerous negative ratings re: smell, I put my nose to it and it definitely stunk! There are too many pretty and sweet smelling plants out there so I don't see a single reason to spend $ on Pretty Much Picasso.

Negative lmusante On Sep 24, 2012, lmusante from Gansevoort, NY wrote:

As was noticed with several other comments, the plant got real leggy during the hot summer. The potted plants in partial sun did marginally better than direct sun, but most crapped out long before they were supposed to. I had high hopes for this plant and had quite a few great comments about them shortly after planting. I did notice an odor from them, but wasn't bothered too much by it. If I bought them again I would plant them on my terraced garden where they could expand all they want.

Negative cdn_gardener On Aug 23, 2012, cdn_gardener from stratford

I loved the two tone look, but after a couple of months, the smell was horrible. I planted these in my window box and everyone that comes into my home thinks one of my dogs pooped in the house!! Never again!

Positive plmbery9 On Apr 15, 2012, plmbery9 from Fairmount, TN wrote:

I purchased this plant last year and was very pleased with it. I planted it in a window box with some impatiens and they looked beautiful together. The petunia cascaded beautifully and quickly filled the flower box. I noticed some stickiness with the plant but not any more than with any other petunia. I never noticed any type of bad or offensive odor with mine and it was planted right outside of our family room window. I also have a seating area in front of the flower box and never noticed the smell. My only problem is that I have searched high and low for this petunia this year, cant find it anywhere and I have yet to speak to anyone who has even heard of it.

Neutral LadyAshleyR On Nov 19, 2011, LadyAshleyR from Oakland, MD wrote:

We grew these this year in the greenhouse where I work. They were extremely popular, and very beautiful! GREAT for cascading planters. When trimmed properly, they grow full, and glorious!
I never noticed any particular smell throughout the year, however these plants produce a sap all over leaves, vines, and flowers that is EXTREMELY sticky! They will get stuck to themselves, and if you get it on your hands, it feels like you've gotten syrup on yourself.
Be careful when trimming not to let the plant touch itself. If it gets stuck together, it will snap before coming apart.

Negative ladyschweig On Sep 8, 2011, ladyschweig from Culpeper, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Believe what folks are saying. This petunia smells like Picasso's foot! It is lovely but it should only be grown where no human will come in close contact with it because it really bears a nasty odor. There are very few plants I would say that about. It does not smell earthy. It is rank. I let the two that I searched high and low for this spring die during a heat spell because I could not bear the smell while watering them.

Negative chefhenry On Jul 12, 2011, chefhenry from Dix Hills, NY wrote:

Plant looks nice, but smaells like dog crap!

Negative smendez On Jul 2, 2011, smendez from Folsom, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I just had to get this plant because of the pretty lime green edges of the flower petals, but I realized that the dirty feet smell at Home Depot was following us home. Sure enough, it's this plant. I'll have to plant it near a window so we can see it, but far away from where we can smell it.

Negative 6aseeder On May 24, 2011, 6aseeder from Arlington, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

i wanted to love these; i was excited about the unusual coloring and i adore purple & green together. but these petunias just are not up to supertunia performance. the blossoms split when they got wet, and they totally pooped out during the heat of summer and never recovered. my purple waves, right next to them, bloomed like champs. certainly not worth the supertunia price.

Neutral dirtdiggr On Sep 11, 2010, dirtdiggr from GTA

I love the cascading habit and absolutely gorgeous effect when the plant is in full bloom...BUT - what a stink in the evening as the backyard starts to cool!! I kept checking the bottom of my shoes for traces of something my dogs left behind. I thought I was losing my mind for about a week before I realized it was the hanging baskets from my garden house (which is right beside our dog run, incidentally). We laughed about it, but decided if we ever plant them again (for their beauty and unusual colouring) they will have to be further away from the patio and garden access route!!

Neutral terryhalverson On Sep 4, 2010, terryhalverson from Bayport, MN wrote:

I was very excited to use this petunia in my containers. I love the look and have had great success in having them spill out between the posts of our deck. The side of the container that spills out over the deck edge are lush and full of flowers. The side that is on the deck seemed to get leggy since they weren't able to spill. They have survived famously this summer with daily waterings and pre-fertilized soil. My only negative comment would be the manure-like odor they give when either freshly watered or it has rained. Very unpleasant to sit out on the deck in the midst of that smell. I will use these again, but not in an area where people congregate.

Neutral putusinorder On Aug 26, 2010, putusinorder from Peabody, MA wrote:

I love the sweet scent of petunias and also enjoy searching for new and unusual varieties. I grew Pretty Much Picasso in a container, in full sun. It is a very heavy feeder and hates drying out even once. I really like the unusual flower color. It does not have the sweet scent of other petunias and I want to know if anyone else has experienced this variety giving off a very bad smell when it gets wet, either by rain or overhead watering. It smells like really rank sneakers. P.U. I don't think I'll grow this one again.

Folsom, California