Smooth Hydrangea, Wild Hydrangea, Sevenbark 'Invincibelle Spirit'

Hydrangea arborescens

Family: Hydrangeaceae (hy-drain-jee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hydrangea (hy-DRAIN-juh) (Info)
Species: arborescens (ar-bo-RES-senz) (Info)
Cultivar: Invincibelle Spirit
Additional cultivar information:(aka NCHA1)
Hybridized by Ranney
Registered or introduced: 2009
» View all varieties of Hydrangeas

Fuchsia (Red-Purple)

Late Fall/Early Winter

Flowers are good for drying and preserving

Littleton, Colorado

Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

Conroe, Texas

Keller, Virginia

On Jul 11, 2014, sladeofsky from Louisville, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I don't know if I am just unlucky, but mine exhibits the worst branching structure of any plant I have ever grown. The flowers are huge and beautiful but almost always borne on tiny week stems that lie flat to the ground and often break under their own weight. As a flower, it's very nice. As a shrub, it's pathetic. I purchased mine from a Stark Brothers, but it was in a Proven Winners pot. Hopefully it will firm up with age. I wouldn't say "don't plant it" but be warned of its problems.

On Sep 19, 2013, gammaneetz from Garden City, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

I totally love this plant! It is planted in front of the picket fence surrounding my veggie garden and it fits there just perfectly. Yes, I do need to tie it up a couple of times a season, but that's alright with me. The blooms on the plant are wonderful.

On Jun 14, 2013, holly_grower from Bear, DE wrote:

I agree with the other reviewers - this plant is slow to get established and is best thought of as a perennial which should be supported while in bloom and deadheaded afterwards. Gets a little ragged looking after bloom...so best not to site it near the front of a bed. But the color is dramatic and can't be beat for this species!

On Jan 13, 2013, stewardess from Easton, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have Invincibelle planted under a Thundercloud Plum tree, where it receives morning sun. The first couple of years, it produced ugly clusters of non-uniform dark pink flowers interspersed with brown, quickly-declining blooms. I almost removed it, but everything in my garden gets a 3-year trial period. The third year, the plant flourished and is now one of the prettiest in my yard. The blooms are fluffy, cotton-candy-colored balls of healthy flowers. Heavy with blooms, the branches must be supported. Blooms slowly decline into attractive dried clusters, which look really pretty in the fall. I cut the stalks down to the ground in early winter, and by spring the shrub is full and covered with blooms again!

On May 16, 2010, kTalia from Littleton, CO (Zone 5a) wrote:

Description from Proven Winners says the following:

"Rick pink flowers bloom from early summer to frost. Very hardy. Reliable bloomer. Reblooms without deheading. Cut to the ground in late winter and fertilize lightly."

On Oct 14, 2009, hortusthird from Spring Lake, MI wrote:

Finally a pink annabelle! Yeah.