PlantFiles: Euphorbia
Euphorbia x martini 'Ascot Rainbow'

Family: Euphorbiaceae (yoo-for-bee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Euphorbia (yoo-FOR-bee-uh) (Info)
Species: x martini

By growin
Thumbnail #6 of Euphorbia x martini by growin

By growin
Thumbnail #7 of Euphorbia x martini by growin

Positive flowergirl70 On Jun 25, 2014, flowergirl70 from Stayner, ON (Zone 5b) wrote:

Great foliage plant. I planted in urns last summer in my Ontario garden and then moved it into the garden on the west side of my house for the winter. It had lots of snow cover. It has come back beautifully and is flowering.
Awesome plant!

Positive coriaceous On Jun 2, 2013, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

I've had my doubts about the hardiness of E. x martinii in my climate, but this cultivar has done well in deep shade for at least 4 years in Southborough, MA, at the border between USDA zones 5/6. Foliage is semi-evergreen, and the chartreuse variegation is handsome.

Produces frequent reversions to the non-variegated form---cut non-variegated stems off at the base promptly if you don't want them to take over, as they're more vigorous than the variegated form.

The flowers are showy and very long-lasting. Cut flowering stems back to the base as the flowers fade. Do not cut new stems back, as they will flower the next year.

Here this plant forms a clump and does not spread. I find occasional seedlings which lack the variegation of their parent.

Update May 2014: Last winter, colder than average, killed most of my plants.

Positive 2255 On Mar 10, 2013, 2255 from Franklin, TN wrote:

Middle Tennessee Zone 7b. Planted 2 large plants in summer and one smaller in fall...all in fairly sunny spots. Almost care free and not in need of extra water in our dry summers. Their rosy hue over the winter has been fabulous. Question: One is very tall, 20 inches, and a bit leggy. Can it be pruned back now? (I realize I need to wear gloves and be careful of the poisonous sap.) And if so, how far. All three are beginning to have new growth at the top.

Positive HouseofFlowers On May 21, 2012, HouseofFlowers from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

I originally purchased two of these (I am in zone 6a). One died after the first year. I assumed it was because it needed more sun. The 2nd one started looking bad, so I relocated it to a spot that had a little more sun and it began thriving. After the winter this season, it looked pretty bad. Thankfully in the spring, it grew all new stems & foliage beautifully.

Positive floraphiliac On May 7, 2012, floraphiliac from Ludington, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

Over-wintered here in zone 6a with no problems. It had beautiful pinkish reddish highlights over the winter and handled snow cover without any problems. It's been blooming very nicely now for a few weeks. I'm hoping it will last for a few years and not disappear as some other euphorbias have done in the past.

Positive greyandamy On Jul 6, 2011, greyandamy from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

I LOVE the appearance of this plant. I have 3 in pots. I'm just confused about hardiness, as I see everything from zone 5 ( I wouldn't risk), lots of zone 6's (including from where I purchased) and zone 7 (as of on this site). Other than that, unknowing if it's safe to plant in ground here in zone 6, it's gorgeous... like a daphne, though foolproof to grow.

Positive avidreader111 On Sep 29, 2010, avidreader111 from Fair Lawn, NJ wrote:

Growing in every other yard in Wallingford, Seattle. Bought a small plant from directgardening. It is developing beautifully in small pot. Will plant soon here, in North NJ. Ordered three more.

Neutral bmoody13 On May 28, 2010, bmoody13 from Columbia, SC wrote:

This plant grows very well in Columbia, SC but the word of caution is SO true. I did not know that the milkly juice from the plant was poisonous and I managed to get it in my eye while cutting the plant back. The chemical burn to my eye was significant!
Be VERY careful when handling this plant!

Neutral Kell On Oct 27, 2009, Kell from Northern California, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This colorful compact but spreading euphorbia debuted from Australia in the 2009/2010 season. Both the flowers and the foliage are variegated. The flowers are a combination of cream and lime green while the foliage is cream with green/blue with the reverse more pink/red. In the cooler months the foliage flushes pink/red even more.

Tolerates lots of heat and dry conditions.

Anniston, Alabama
Parkton, Maryland
Roslindale, Massachusetts (2 reports)
Ludington, Michigan