Euphorbia
Euphorbia x martini 'Ascot Rainbow'

Family: Euphorbiaceae (yoo-for-bee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Euphorbia (yoo-FOR-bee-uh) (Info)
Species: x martini

Provides winter interest

Patented

Anniston, Alabama

Parkton, Maryland

Roslindale, Massachusetts (2 reports)

Ludington, Michigan

Lexington, Virginia

Newport News, Virginia

Round Hill, Virginia

On Jun 25, 2014, flowergirl70 from Stayner, ON (Zone 5b) wrote:

Great foliage plant. I planted in urns last summer in my Ontario garden and then moved it into the garden on the west side of my house for the winter. It had lots of snow cover. It has come back beautifully and is flowering.
Awesome plant!

On Jun 2, 2013, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This is primarily sold here for use as a container plant, but it can also grow here as a short-lived perennial.

I've had my doubts about the hardiness of E. x martinii in my climate, but this cultivar has done well in deep shade for at least 4 years in Southborough, MA, at the border between USDA zones 5/6. Foliage is semi-evergreen, and the chartreuse variegation is handsome.

Produces frequent reversions to the non-variegated form---cut non-variegated stems off at the base promptly if you don't want them to take over, as they're more vigorous than the variegated form.

Bloom begins in May. The flower bracts are showy and last for months. Cut flowering stems back to the base as the flowers fade. Do not cut new stems back, as they will flower the ... read more

On Mar 10, 2013, 2255 from Franklin, TN wrote:

Middle Tennessee Zone 7b. Planted 2 large plants in summer and one smaller in fall...all in fairly sunny spots. Almost care free and not in need of extra water in our dry summers. Their rosy hue over the winter has been fabulous. Question: One is very tall, 20 inches, and a bit leggy. Can it be pruned back now? (I realize I need to wear gloves and be careful of the poisonous sap.) And if so, how far. All three are beginning to have new growth at the top.

On May 21, 2012, HouseofFlowers from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

I originally purchased two of these (I am in zone 6a). One died after the first year. I assumed it was because it needed more sun. The 2nd one started looking bad, so I relocated it to a spot that had a little more sun and it began thriving. After the winter this season, it looked pretty bad. Thankfully in the spring, it grew all new stems & foliage beautifully.

On May 7, 2012, floraphiliac from Ludington, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

Over-wintered here in zone 6a with no problems. It had beautiful pinkish reddish highlights over the winter and handled snow cover without any problems. It's been blooming very nicely now for a few weeks. I'm hoping it will last for a few years and not disappear as some other euphorbias have done in the past.

On Jul 6, 2011, greyandamy from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

I LOVE the appearance of this plant. I have 3 in pots. I'm just confused about hardiness, as I see everything from zone 5 ( I wouldn't risk), lots of zone 6's (including from where I purchased) and zone 7 (as of on this site). Other than that, unknowing if it's safe to plant in ground here in zone 6, it's gorgeous... like a daphne, though foolproof to grow.

On Sep 29, 2010, avidreader111 from Fair Lawn, NJ wrote:

Growing in every other yard in Wallingford, Seattle. Bought a small plant from directgardening. It is developing beautifully in small pot. Will plant soon here, in North NJ. Ordered three more.

On May 28, 2010, bmoody13 from Columbia, SC wrote:

This plant grows very well in Columbia, SC but the word of caution is SO true. I did not know that the milkly juice from the plant was poisonous and I managed to get it in my eye while cutting the plant back. The chemical burn to my eye was significant!
Be VERY careful when handling this plant!

On Oct 27, 2009, Kell from Northern California, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This colorful compact but spreading euphorbia debuted from Australia in the 2009/2010 season. Both the flowers and the foliage are variegated. The flowers are a combination of cream and lime green while the foliage is cream with green/blue with the reverse more pink/red. In the cooler months the foliage flushes pink/red even more.

Tolerates lots of heat and dry conditions.