Elephant Ear, Taro
Colocasia esculenta 'Mojito'

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Colocasia (kol-oh-KAY-see-uh) (Info)
Species: esculenta (es-kew-LEN-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Mojito

Charleston, South Carolina

Ladys Island, South Carolina

Burleson, Texas

On Sep 3, 2013, Playnthedirt from Greensboro, NC wrote:

I live in Greensboro NC. Colocasia Mojito has wintered over for the past two years in my garden. I had two that wintered over in containers. This plant is one of my favorites. Be sure to mulch the planting area very well by early November.

On Jul 24, 2012, lseddins from Atlanta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I am enjoying my mojito as a houseplant in Atlanta, moved to a dappled sunlight spot on the front porch for the summer. Recently, a half green/half black leaf appeared. Picture is posted.

On Jul 14, 2012, Roni_nelle from Bridgetown
Barbados wrote:

I live in Barbados and have the mojito as a houseplant. Actually I have tried it in a pot outside as well as in a shaded spot in my garden. I just can't get it to keep its leaves. I have only had a single leaf at a time, which then dies before a new one grows. It's a beautiful plant but I need help!

What kind of soil does the mojito like?
Does it prefer a cool patio or indoors?
Does it like to be pot bound?

On Jun 7, 2012, CLSC from Charleston, SC wrote:

Just purchased this in a small container for a "shade" area (according to the nursery). After reading comments & care for this Mojito Elephant Ear on websites, I hope maybe I can put this into an area that gets more sun. (It's already nearly 3 feet high) I'm thinking of a place where it gets morning sun, until noon, then it is shady from noon till 4 PM. Then it is sunny again in that area from 4 PM until sundown. Has anyone had experience with growing it in sun and if so, how much sun did it take without burning? (I'm in the southeast, near the ocean)
Thanks ! :-)

On Jan 13, 2012, turektaylor from Elizabeth City, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

this DID NOT survive here in zone 8a last winter. i even put it in a raised bed, up under the eaves on the south side. i think they need to re-think their zones on some of these new ones. i lost 5
last year, all well raised and mulched. i'd take a small bulb in just to CYA. just saying....

On Jul 22, 2011, cornnut from Lambs Grove, IA wrote:

Since I live in Iowa I had to grow this as a house plant during the winter months. I moved it outside during the summer. It was very small in the house of course, once I moved it outside it quadrupled in size. I really enjoy this plant - it's one of my favorites.

On May 28, 2011, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Loving my newest addition to the family. I saw the stems first and knew I just had to have it. LOL After it gets established a bit I will post pic
Bought from Riverbanks Zoo & Botanical Gardens, Columbia S.C.
Happy Birthday to me