Gold Moss, Stringy Stonecrop, Graveyard Moss

Sedum sarmentosum

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Sedum (SEE-dum) (Info)
Species: sarmentosum (sar-men-TOH-sum) (Info)

Cactus and Succulents

Peterstown, West Virginia

Shepherdstown, West Virginia

Weston, West Virginia

On Aug 2, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This is a particularly nasty garden thug. Spreads very rapidly, and is hard to get rid of once it's got its roots in the ground. It makes growing many other garden plants difficult to impossible. There are many prettier sedums that do not become noxious weeds.

In one garden I managed to confine it to a windowbox, where it has overwintered well for over 10 years here in Z6a Boston. It drops pieces on the stone path beneath, but I take pains to remove those that root in the cracks.

On Aug 2, 2015, BelindaClem from Appalachia, VA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I found this growing on the sidewalk where it had spilled out of someone's yard, I have taken it home to plant in a spot where grass won't grow. I was trying to start a succulent garden but the cats in the neighborhood we're digging everything up, so I am just leaving this one plant to take off. My neighbor has it in her garden like that as well. My husband also took a small bit and put it in a hanging pot for inside the house and eventually I think I will get a bird bath because it think it will be awesome growing over the sides of it.

On Jun 8, 2015, veggiequeen from Shepherdstown, WV wrote:

This spread throughout my yard during a period of about 2 years, and this year it has reached a critical mass. It's everywhere, and now it has invaded a wooded area where I'm trying to establish some rare plants. I The USDA lists a closely related species, sedum acre, as an invasive plant in Canada and the lower 48 states. Do yourself and your neighbors a favor, not to mention the critters that depend on the other plants growing in your yard, and don't use this pretty little plant.

On Jan 11, 2012, pirl from (Arlene) Southold, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Much too aggressive for me. Runs rampant and even frequently removing all pieces I can see doesn't stop it. Must be growing underground and not yet emerged. Looks like I'll have to remove and pot all plants in the area to try and eliminate it.

On May 24, 2010, holeth from Corpus Christi, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

In an experiment to create a cascade look in a soil-filled dry retaining wall, this plant raced ahead of "walkable" creeping veronicas and campanulas & produced the desired effect. The other plants are still mere little clumps. (The campanulas barely survived the winter.)

The lime-green foliage is a nice contrast to the bluer-green of the majority of the garden plants.

Unfortunately, with this growth rate, it's going to be some work to keep it contained in future years. I want it in the wall, but not covering the entire wall, & not in the lawn, flower beds, etc.

On May 19, 2009, chickarooni from Springfield, MO wrote:

I love the thick sea of green and yellow this plant presents when growing over rocks. One thing I've noticed is how the green bottle flies love the flowers of this plant so you might reconsider planting close to your patio or porch. To control it as a border I just simply pull it up periodically otherwise it will choke all other plants. In the winter it dies back to the surface resembling miniature hens and chicks.

On Apr 5, 2007, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Not really an attractive sedum. Spreads really fast, but does tear out fairly easily. It does grow where other things won't, but I can easily think of other Sedums I'd rather have.

On Jul 28, 2006, uoflkim from Shepherdsville, KY (Zone 9a) wrote:

Awesome ground cover. I love the way it fills in the spaces between my patio blocks. This has been a very tough ground cover for me and has stood up to the test of kids trompling all over it and dogs running across it day in and day out. It always looks pretty and is very easy to control by just pulling up what you dont want. Comes up with very little effort. If you want it to fill in another area just pull some up and pitch it where you want it. It will plant itself.

On Mar 15, 2005, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

Sedum does very well in my garden..it fills the gaps between my stepping stones and it is a nice roof cover for my garden shed. All sedums are very usefull for that purpose...it needs very less soil to grow and can stand extreme conditions like heat, drought, sun. It makes a nice tapestry on very dull roofs.

On Jun 19, 2004, jhyshark from Scottville, MI (Zone 4b) wrote:

I am building a rock garden on a steep sandy slope- very poor soil. As invasive as this is, it does a nice job of covering areas where things haven't filled in yet. I love the way it climbs and drapes in steep cracks, like green fire. I rip it out by the handfuls every year, but it's easier to pull than a lot of the weeds, so it if isn't killing some other plant I wait till it blooms, and then rip it back. The poor soil also keeps it a little smaller and more dainty. I've seen it get leggy and coarse in good soil.

On May 8, 2004, DivaSharon from Coppell, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I give it a positive rating, however! I give it a negative rating for the way it attracts a million bees and for the way it ate my other plants! I used to have orange verbena and bachelor buttons, but no more! It has spread so fast, it makes my head spin, but it IS pretty. I will have to remove some this year and put brick edging to contain it in a flower bed. It has planted itself on the other side of the yard and I will probably not let it stay.

This started blooming yellow flowers in April in Texas!

On Aug 27, 2003, SueP64 from Centerbrook, CT wrote:

Extremely invasive. I found it growing on compacted soil in my brother's lawn. I took a couple of plugs home, planted them in good soil and in two months time I had to yank a lot of it out. It is by far the fastest growing garden plant I've had. It's color is a beautiful chartreuse with tiny bright yellow flowers in mid-summer. I recommend it for hard soil-low traffic areas, and contained spots in rock gardens.

On Jul 16, 2003, Bricca from Sugar Grove, NC wrote:

This is the fastest growing groundcover I've ever seen!! Even though it's extremely invasive, it's also very easy to pull up and transplant. You hardly even have to plant it; just throw it on the ground with a little water the first few days! Seems to do equally well in sun to shade, but flowers more & spreads faster in the sun. Does fine in rocky hillside soil; excellent for holding soil on a slope, and much prettier than grass in areas that can't be mowed. EXCELLENT for rock retaining walls. It constantly resupplies itself - once you start this, you'll have an ENDLESS supply. Do NOT use this plant if you never want to "edit" - you'll have to pull some of this up every season, unless you have no other plants!

On Jul 16, 2003, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

(I garden in the Mid-Atlantic). Nice succulent leaves covered in yellow flowers/bracts in spring. Low to the ground, a good ground cover for sun and part shade, although prefers not to be stepped on. Drought tolerant, but seems to prefer moist soils. Easy to grow. Can be invasive. Removal is easy though, because of very shallow roots. Because of shallow roots, dislikes being translplanted. Good for various places, including rock gardens and for erosion control in small areas. Mine is planted in various places, including beneath a gutter to prevent water washing away soil from my nearby perennial garden.

On Feb 3, 2003, Crimson from Clarksville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

It seems to be pretty invasive, I planted a small amount in light shade and it's spreading very fast... faster than anything else including Creeping Jenny. I'm afraid I'm going to regret planting it. (zone 4)

On Jan 21, 2003, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

It's taken a bit of research to ID this little sedum correctly. It seems it's often incorrectly labeled as Sedum acre. This sedum is a rapid spreader, sending out long, fleshy stems that root anywhere they come in contact with the soil. It will loosely cover a large area in a short time. It does well in shade or full sun, although it will benefit from extra watering in the hot sun.

On Sep 1, 2002, Crimson from Clarksville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

I had no idea this would spread so very rapidly, faster than Creeping Jenny! If you want to blanket a light shade area quickly, this would do it. I don't think it's nearly as pretty as Creeping Jenny. (zone 4)