Zinnia
Zinnia marylandica 'Zahara Rose Starlight'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zinnia (ZIN-ya) (Info)
Species: marylandica (mar-i-LAND-ih-ka) (Info)
Cultivar: Zahara Rose Starlight
Additional cultivar information:(2010 AAS Bedding plant Winner; Zahara™ series; aka Zahara Starlight Rose)

Not Applicable

Hornell, New York

Leesburg, Virginia

positive

On Jul 23, 2011, evanpowens from Princeton Junction, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

Grew this from seed. Not very satisfactory: only a tiny hint of the rose color and not on any of the early blossoms. The rose color was so intermittent that it made the flowers look defective or damaged. This was not a winner in my garden and will not be on my plans for next year.

On Nov 2, 2010, aegir from Bethesda, MD wrote:

Planted these this summer. Hard a hard time getting them to start compared to my Benary's giant mix which were a snap and rocked. They are kind of a plain jane flower for a zinnia-mostly an ivory off-white and daisy like. I too bought them as a bicolor and was disappointed-they showed some bicolor in late fall, but in mid summer were plain white. Do need very little watering so I'll give you that point but I'm overall not a fan. I'll probably go back to swizzle cherry ivory which was a good bicolor. The Zahara doubles look intriguing too.

On Sep 20, 2010, sharonmi from Westland, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

We had a very hot, dry August and most of my zaharas' just faded away. The ones in large pots fared better, being watered every day, but they tended towards trailing (flopping). I won't do these again - seriously, zinnias that can't take heat and drought, no thanks.

On Sep 13, 2010, lycodad from Hornell, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

Very easy to grow, nice low spreading habit. A beautiful plant to fill bedding areas. I grew seeds in flats, transplanting at 12" intervals.

On Jun 8, 2010, ericabelle from West Plains, MO (Zone 6b) wrote:

The only disappointment I had with this zinnia is the small amount of rose coloring- it was more of a rose "dash" of color on each petal. All the seed catalogs show more of a bicolor bloom. But, aside from the coloring, it is a great plant. Nice bushy habit with LARGE yellow centers. The foliage stays clean and the white blooms age gracefully. Very drought tolerant.

On Nov 29, 2009, amorecuore from Ft Lauderdale, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Easy to grow, low maintenance, high mildew resistant zinnia. It's a nice midsized zinnia with lots of blooms. The only disappointment is that very few blooms have a rose colored ring around the middle of the blooms. I consider this zinnia to be more of a solid white, and not a bicolored zinnia.