Blackberry
Rubus 'Natchez'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rubus (ROO-bus) (Info)
Cultivar: Natchez
Additional cultivar information:(PP20891)
Hybridized by Clark
Registered or introduced: 2008

Edible Fruits and Nuts

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Patented

Round Rock, Texas

Ogden, Utah

negative

On Jun 30, 2015, PatYates from Ogden, UT wrote:

I planted a very small one a year ago and it grew quite well the first year. This year it really started taking off this spring though. It's "52 tall and has many blooms, some of which are already turning to berries.

I've seen several places on the internet that say you need to stake this but many of the larger stems are tall and upright with nothing holding them up.

Update: It's late July and this thing has gotten much taller than they say it does. One stalk is close to 8' and another is about 6'. Some of the berries are starting to turn reddish.

On May 26, 2015, grovespirit from Sunset Valley, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Thornless but super slow growing in my area, also not very good at producing berries, even when I have made sure to acidify and amend its soil. Not a good variety for me here on edge of 8b/9a. Arapaho and Ouachita are doing much better.

On Oct 3, 2014, RobertCrandall from Capac, MI wrote:

I planted 7 plants from a Meijer store 3 years ago. The first year we had berries. They were small but tasted like butter. The second year we got about 30 pounds off and I always put a cup of 10-10-10 around each one in the spring. they were about 1.5" long. Not bad for a second year which would make them 3 years old. Then we got hit hard by the coldest winter in our history. The University of Michigan suggested that we just cut the Blackberries to the ground. I normally listen to them, but this time something told me not to. Everything above the snow line was burned dead but there was some greenish wood at the bottom. In June they started to take off! They reached only 6 foot but were loaded with blooms. We have picked about 50 pounds now and there are still at least that many to go. The ... read more