PlantFiles: Blackberry
Rubus 'Natchez'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rubus (ROO-bus) (Info)
Cultivar: Natchez
Additional cultivar information: (PPAF)

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Edible Fruits and Nuts

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Patented

Positive RobertCrandall On Oct 3, 2014, RobertCrandall from Capac, MI wrote:

I planted 7 plants from a Meijer store 3 years ago. The first year we had berries. They were small but tasted like butter. The second year we got about 30 pounds off and I always put a cup of 10-10-10 around each one in the spring. they were about 1.5" long. Not bad for a second year which would make them 3 years old. Then we got hit hard by the coldest winter in our history. The University of Michigan suggested that we just cut the Blackberries to the ground. I normally listen to them, but this time something told me not to. Everything above the snow line was burned dead but there was some greenish wood at the bottom. In June they started to take off! They reached only 6 foot but were loaded with blooms. We have picked about 50 pounds now and there are still at least that many to go. The size is from 1.5" to 3". I could not be more pleased with this variety The Kiowa's are starting to do better but the Natchez sprouted as far away from the parent as 10'. I am going to keep the row going as long as it lets me. I highly recommend this variety especially if you have kid picking as they are thornless.

Tampa, Florida