Crepe Ginger
Cheilocostus speciosus

Family: Costaceae
Genus: Cheilocostus
Species: speciosus (spee-see-OH-sus) (Info)
Synonym:Costus speciosus

Thibodaux, Louisiana

Germantown, Maryland

Port Isabel, Texas

On Sep 16, 2012, artemizia08 from Rockledge, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

When I bought from big local nursery few years ago, it was in bloom. Never-ever bloomed again, don't know why ((( Although other gingers are blooming like crazy in our garden (East-Central Florida).

On Sep 14, 2012, fuzzytufts from Folkston, GA wrote:

I have had my plant for 2 years and finally figured out what makes it do best is keeping it moist in a mix that drains well and regular feedings( small feedings of l0.l0.l0) is what I used but a water based would work. Its blooms this year have been on it since the middle of June 20l2 and still going strong. Good for butterflies & bees. In my area of South Georgia bees are in short supply so anything that draws pollinators is a good thing. I placed my plant in the ground when I first got it but it apparently stayed too dry even though I watered regularly so last fall I placed it in a large pot and this spring when it came up it wasn't skinny. I wondered if anyone knows how to grow it from seeds or just best to do by cuttings. I think this plant is worth the growing just for the beaut... read more

On Apr 7, 2012, NYCtropics from New York, NY wrote:

I really like this ginger. Mine grew to 6 feet tall by the end of the summer and bloomed! II really was not expecting blooms here in NYC from a spiral ginger (especially in its first year), but I got some nice October blooms.
In Late Fall I cut it back, dug it out of the ground, and potted it up. It did NOTHING all winter. I thought it was dead. About a month ago I took it out of the pot to see what was going on with the roots and it looked like nothing was growing. I potted it back and hoped for the best. Now just a few days ago I see some growth emerging from the soil and it is now growing fast. Looks like I will have this plant again for another summer!

On Jul 10, 2011, Phoolan from San Luis Obispo, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Here in the coastal Rio Grande Valley, this spiral ginger is a welcome accent plant in a part shade to full shade site. It can be a little floppy, so I have it under a small tree, against some backdrop shrubbery which helps when the wind kicks up.
It's so hot here in the summer, I mist it whenever I remember. It came back from the hard freeze we had last winter and has even spread a bit. Very graceful, very tropical.

On Aug 18, 2010, CostaRica from Guayabo de Bagaces, Guanacaste
Costa Rica (Zone 10b) wrote:

Love this one...but agree it could be invasive, especially if planted in an wet area.