Dancing Ladies Ginger, Dancing Girls Ginger, Jungle Jewels Ginger
Globba winitii

Family: Zingiberaceae
Genus: Globba (GLAH-buh) (Info)
Species: winitii (win-IT-ee-eye) (Info)

Partial to Full Shade

Norcross, Georgia

Haiku, Hawaii

Spring, Texas

On Aug 10, 2013, sandnsea from Zephyrhills South, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have my dancing ladies planted in semi shade with moist well draining soil.....When they bloom it changes colors from white to pink to fuschia with little yellow flowers that are considered the dancing ladies....She dies back come wintertime and reappears in the spring.

On Nov 16, 2012, NCZ from Athens, GA wrote:

I have been growing Dancing Ladies since 2008 when a dear friend cut a blossom for me. I left it in water so long that it rooted (over a month). Since then I have rooted them every year. My clippings are about 8-10 inches tall.

In Athens, GA then plant needs to be brought in for the winter, so I have it in a pot, bring it in before the first freeze and return it to the terrace in early spring.

On Jul 29, 2012, koa from Haiku, HI wrote:

I bought this plant in bloom at a local nursery and placed the pot under my monkeypod tree while I considered where to plant it. It sat there and bloomed for months. I watered it when I thought about it, but certainly not enough to keep it consistently moist. Its blooms never faltered. I finally decided on a location that would put it in shade half the day, though the soil there was on the dry side. It immediately died to the ground, even though I was watering it daily. I was heart broken! I've only seen it for sale that one time, so there's no running out to the nursery to replace it. I thought perhaps it would come back, so I watered its remains and hoped for the best--NOTHING. Well, it's best not to mourn lost plants too long here on Maui because the weeds are lying in wait en ... read more

On Sep 7, 2001, justmeLisa from Brewers, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

This elegant ginger produces beautiful flowers, the flowers have purple bracts with a yellow flower. The flower makes an excellent cut flower that lasts for weeks.

This ginger also comes in white. "White Dragon" as pictured