Ox-Eye Daisy, Field Daisy, Marguerite, Moon Daisy

Leucanthemum vulgare

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Leucanthemum (lew-KANTH-ih-mum) (Info)
Species: vulgare (vul-GAIR-ee) (Info)
Synonym:Chrysanthemum leucanthemum
Synonym:Chrysanthemum leucanthemum var. pinnatifidum
Synonym:Leucanthemum vulgare var. pinnatifidum

This plant is resistant to deer

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Foley, Alabama

Grand Mound, Washington

Olympia, Washington

Morgantown, West Virginia

On Jul 13, 2014, rbarta from Lewistown, MT wrote:

This is the most notorious weed I have ever dealt with. I have been trying to get rid of it for 7 plus years and it only gets worse, It may look nice to the average Joe blow, but it will eventually take over everything. It multiplies both through the seed head and the roots. Spraying with Ali and 24d help, but it will come back. The seeds can last as long as 20 plus years in the soil and still germinate. Not only is it a horrible weed, but it stinks to high heaven..... If you want something pretty, find something else

On May 21, 2011, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have this plant on a dry side of my garden and I can count on having some clear white daisise for the kids to pick in the spring. The plant is quite a low groundcover, which keeps out the other weeds...LOL...I do love this plant, as I had tried to grow the shasta daisies and have little success with getting them to return for more than a couple of years, these have been in the garde for 7 years now and I look forward to 7 more, I am planning to populate another hard to plant area with this sweet perennial.

On Jul 28, 2010, suewylan from North Fork, CA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Here in the Sierra Foothills this plant is charming and adds to a meadow look in the spring among the grasses and yarrow. After deadheading it just sits and waits until next spring. It does reseed, but not enough for me. After five years, there are only five or six small clumps in my garden.

On May 17, 2010, EffieH from Amston, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

I planted wild marguerite daisies in my garden a few years ago and I still love them! They tend to reseed themselves all over, but form beautiful little bunches that just gradually spread. They are really easy to just pull out in areas where I don't want them. I love plants that will move themselves to an area they prefer and then flourish there. I consider the marguerites and violets "placeholders" in my garden -- I'll move them out eventually when I find something better to put in those places! But they both behave themselves beautifully here.

On Aug 9, 2009, Jsorens from Buffalo, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Very weedy, alien plant from Eurasia. Extremely common along highways and in disturbed environments here, along with other weeds like purple loosestrife, Queen Anne's lace, and dame's rocket. Attractive flowers, but then I much prefer a coreopsis, helianthus, or rudbeckia, which are also better behaved and better for our native wildlife.

On Jun 16, 2009, SW_gardener from (Zone 6a) wrote:

Despite it's sometimes weedy tendencies we really enjoy having this plant in our gardens. It requires very little effort and provides profuse blooms, grows very easily, isn't fussy about soil and if kept deadheaded it stays controlled fairly well. The only time I ever had more coming up then I wanted is when you pull one out or move it and the leftover roots send up new plants. However, those are easily dug out.

On Apr 24, 2009, holeth from Corpus Christi, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Not invasive here, just pretty spring flowers.

It's not the cold, so it must be grassland vs. forest. We're much wetter here. Wet enough for trees and shrubs to shade them out. (Maybe they couldn't compete with the Russian autumn olive, Tartarian honeysuckle, and multiflora rose either.)

In fact, it's becoming kinda rare. Only grows in open fields where there's minimal mowing and/or spraying. It's most happy on human-made ecotones/edges.

People pick them when they see them, too. 25 years ago it grew on a hillside by my little league softball field. Meanwhile, daisies plus girls equals: He loves me, he loves me not... So much for seed production.

Last reserves of them that I've seen in the region are around our airport a... read more

On May 8, 2008, crimsontsavo from Crossville, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have had a lot of luck cutting the plant back after the blooms begin to fade.
It gives me a new flush of blooms shortly after.

On Apr 1, 2007, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

This plant is listed on the North Dakota invasive/troublesome list and this information is being distributed in a guide developed by the ND Weed Control Association and other agencies.

Plant Features
Perennial, up to 2 feet tall
Several un-branched stems arise from root
White single flowers (1 to 2 inches wide with a yellow center) on the ends of each stem
Lower leaves longer than upper leaves, lance-shaped, edges toothed
Blooms June through August
Spreads by shallow creeping roots, (rhizomatous) and straw-colored ribbed seeds

Documented in a few areas. Found on disturbed sites in grasslands

Interesting Facts
Escaped ornamental
Belongs to the sunflo... read more

On Jun 21, 2006, valereee from Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant blooms profusely and early with beautiful blooms, but the foliage is the ugliest. It lays down on the ground and forms large ugly mats at the crown. I got a single plant from a neighbor last year, planted it in a sunny spot, and ended up with an entire bedful this year -- but because of the ugly foliage, I ripped it all out. I love the early-blooming attribute, and the flowers are gorgeous, but the foliage is just too ugly.

On Jun 10, 2006, kennyso from Markham, ON (Zone 5b) wrote:

These grow like weeds here in Canada; they are certainly invasive. Even so, they have beautiful flowers, I might try to collect tubers and seeds this year!

On Feb 11, 2006, raisedbedbob from Walkerton, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

The tender young leaves may be used in salads.

On Aug 12, 2005, Fleurs from Columbia, SC wrote:

Appreciated for its lengthy early Spring bloom (Zone 8) and
pristine evergreen foliage. Although a vigorous reseeder,
unwanted seedlings are easily removed.

It's impossible not to smile when these daisies are in bloom!

On Sep 7, 2004, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Cheerful little wildflowers that seem to smile at you along the roadsides every Summer.

The foliage stays green all year round here in West KY, making a low mat of rosettes close to the ground.

The only down side to them is that they can infest hay fields and cattle dislike the taste, so won't eat the hay.

On Jul 7, 2004, myah from Millinocket, ME wrote:

This plant grows in the uncultivated areas behind our home in northern Maine and I look forward to it every summer. The blooms seem to last for a month, and I use them as cut flowers for the house. I think the Ox-Eye Daisy is wonderful!

On Jan 31, 2003, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Sometimes mistaken for "Shasta Daisy" (Leucanthemum x superbum), this species has earlier and smaller blooms.

On May 4, 2002, Lilith from Durham
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

A wild-flower native to Northern Europe, Oxeye Daisy is one of the most familiar of all summer flowers, the large white and yellow Daisies adorning mile after mile of roadside, railway embankment and meadows. The long, unbranched stems make it a favourite ingredient in a bunch of wildflowers. It is related to the larger Shasta Daisy, originally from the Pyrenees and widely cultivated in gardens.