Meadow Foam, Poached Egg Plant, Fried Eggs
Limnanthes douglasii

Family: Limnanthaceae
Genus: Limnanthes (lim-NAN-thees) (Info)
Species: douglasii (dug-LUS-ee-eye) (Info)

Not Applicable

Bandon, Oregon

Salem, Oregon

Shelton, Washington

On Mar 7, 2015, rosepetal2 from Danvers, MA wrote:

Planning to incorporate this into my fruit tree orchard/small berry orchard. Meadow Foam's early bloom will hopefully provide additional pollen/nectar for my Mason bees. Although referenced for Z5-9, I'm not sure this will be perennial in Z6 so I'm counting on self-seeding. I see only West Coast members report growing Meadow Foam. After 2015 season I'll update my review. Any East Coast growers out there?

On Sep 23, 2013, solarbeez from Bandon, OR wrote:

When the owner of the local nursery said he had some Meadowfoam plants, I told him I'd buy whatever he had. My honeybees love it...but so do the deer. Next year I want to grow bunches of it, protected from the deer of course.

It grew well on the southern Oregon Coast, zip code 97411

On Feb 19, 2011, mkjones from Aurora, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Am sowing seeds now (in late winter, 3rd week of Feb) in rural Northwest Tx. Am hoping that the cooler country temps will help these thrive! Have always wanted these in my garden. =)

On Jul 29, 2008, ladygardener1 from Near Lake Erie, NW, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Started plants from seed late winter under lights, they took a long time to germinate. The leaf stems are very crisp like crisp celery with out the strings and have a tendency to break when handling. Unless this really shows off before frost it will not be on my priority list next season.

On Apr 6, 2007, uneasyjd from Hemmet
Denmark (Zone 7b) wrote:

One of the backbones of our 'bright' border. Self-seeds reliably, but not troublesome. (The seedlings are easily recognizable.) One of the very first things to flower. Incredibly useful.

On Mar 5, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Am planning on growing this year- will report back the results. I have read it does well in cooler areas so my GA summer might not be to its liking- lol!

There are reportedly17 (!) known species of this California native that grow near vernal ponds(seasonally flooded depressions).

On Feb 4, 2006, KatyMac from So. Puget Sound, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant comes up when others are dying back in the fall, stays green all winter and blooms in the spring then politely dies back when the mainstays are coming up and flowering. It's a joy in my garden.

On Nov 23, 2004, spklatt from Ottawa, ON (Zone 5a) wrote:

The poached egg plant attracts to hoverflies, which help control aphids. It also self-seeds freely after flowering.

On Nov 9, 2001, talinum from Kearney, NE (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a spreading plant, 1' tall covered in fragrant, cup-shaped flowers that are yellow, deeply edged with a white border. Use in rock gardens, at the front of a border or edging a path.

Prefers the cool temperatures of the Pacific Northwest