Okra 'Stewart's Zeebest'

Abelmoschus esculentus

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Abelmoschus (a-bel-MOS-kus) (Info)
Species: esculentus (es-kew-LEN-tus) (Info)
Cultivar: Stewart's Zeebest

Not Applicable

Pale Yellow

Ozark, Missouri

Tahlequah, Oklahoma

Wetumka, Oklahoma

On Sep 3, 2012, okiearkie from Wetumka, OK wrote:

Stwarts Zeebest is very productive with many stims so you can pick several pods from each plant. It works best to set the plants atleast 2' - 3' apart to give it room to spread out. I learned this by accident a few years ago. It's a lot like raising cotton. This way you don't have to have as many plants.

On Jan 13, 2012, fourteenmilecreek from Tahlequah, OK wrote:

I've grown Zeebest okra in the past and have no complaints, except for the odd shaped pods. They are smooth, skinny, and very long. Because of this they do not sell well at the local Farmers' Market; as folks are used to the old fashioned, Clemson Spineless, ribbed pods, that are much shorter. People don't trust that the long Zeebest pods will be tender, so they just never give them a try. That's too bad, because it's a good variety... It just looks different than what folks are used to seeing.

The Zeebest okra plants are everything folks claim them to be. It's a good variety that branches heavily, and grows long, tender, smooth pods that are edible up to 8 inches.

Because of Zeebest's inherent branchy popularity, I have developed a heavily branching type... read more

On Sep 5, 2011, Ozark from Ozark, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I've grown a lot of okra varieties, including five different ones this year. I've been searching for a favorite that I'll want to grow year after year. I've found it - Stewart's Zeebest is "zeebest" I've ever grown!

The plants are wide and bushy with multiple branches that bear pods, so it's a lot more productive than other okra varieties. The pods are dark green, long, smooth, and skinny - and they grow quickly and stay tender even at 8" long. The flavor is very good.

I've got 10 plants in a 15' row, but in the future I'll allow at least 3' between "Zeebest" plants as they grow so wide. I'll stick with this okra variety from now on, I'm real happy with it.

On Mar 29, 2010, JuliaSue from Birmingham, AL wrote:

Grew this alongside Bowling Red okra and it was about 4 times as productive and okra was slow to over-ripen. The okra wasn't terribly prickly. Overall - very pleased.