PlantFiles: Coneflower
Echinacea 'Hot Summer'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Echinacea (ek-in-AY-shee-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Hot Summer
Additional cultivar information: (PP20687)
Hybridized by van Noor; Year of Registration or Introduction: 2010

Orange
Red-Orange

This plant is resistant to deer
Flowers are good for cutting

By amorecuore

Thumbnail #4 of Echinacea  by chavelonni

Thumbnail #5 of Echinacea  by chavelonni

Thumbnail #6 of Echinacea  by chavelonni

Thumbnail #7 of Echinacea  by chavelonni

Positive ms_greenjeans On Jul 9, 2012, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I have sort of a love-hate relationship with coneflowers. I hear they are super tough and easy to grow, but I don't generally have good luck with them. This one, however, has greatly exceeded my expectations. This is their second summer in my garden, and they're huge and blooming like crazy. The flowers really do change color, from yellow to peach, to orange, to red/dark pink. The overall effect is really pretty.
Summer of 2012 - aster yellows was rampant in Minnesota this year and I pulled out most of my echinacea. I then visited a local nursery and was told that they had their coneflowers checked for the virus, and despite the appearance of the coneflowers they were virus-free. Drought apparently has a very similar effect (misshapen and discolored blossoms). So I have left my Hot Summer in the garden and will watch them for signs of aster yellows next summer.

Positive chavelonni On Nov 29, 2010, chavelonni from El Mirage, AZ wrote:

I'm in AZ and in the summer heat the yellow/orange color lasts for a few hours only and then the flower fades to a dusty rose color. In the colder months however, the flowers start out yellow and slowly change to orange, then apricot and finally to a beautiful crimson red that's very hard to photograph. I have mine planted in lightly amended clay and so far it's doing great. Very fragrant too!

Positive BajaBlue On Oct 17, 2010, BajaBlue from Rancho Santa Rita, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

The Coneflower Hot Summer Echinacea is a new style of coneflower. The flowers on this plant open a bright, sunny yellow, changing to brilliant scarlet as the bloom matures. The result is a veritable collage of multi-colored blossoms that harmonize eautifully, sometimes all on the same plant at the same time

El Mirage, Arizona