PlantFiles: Germander Sage, Blue Oak Sage
Salvia chamaedryoides

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Salvia (SAL-vee-uh) (Info)
Species: chamaedryoides (kam-ay-dry-OY-deez) (Info)

» View all varieties of Salvias

Thumbnail #6 of Salvia chamaedryoides by suewylan

By growin
Thumbnail #7 of Salvia chamaedryoides by growin

Positive herbymom On Feb 5, 2013, herbymom from Long Beach, CA wrote:

Bought this fromThe Lakewood Nursery in Lakewood, CA about 3 years ago. I keep it in a large terra cotta pot so that it can be moved around the garden and to control it's size. Looks beautiful in front of a purple heliotrope. I thought I'd killed this plant about 6 months ago when I left it in a shady damp location for too long, ( a year ) I repotted and moved it back into full sun and was amazed that it immediately began producing new leaves and now is in full flower ( February). I keep mine trimmed Into a ball shape. The fragrance of the leaves and flowers are wonderful.

Positive rweiler On Apr 19, 2012, rweiler from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

My new favorite plant. I am also in Albuquerquerque, NM, in a sheltered downtown area, zone 6b to 7a. I fell in love with this when I saw it in a large pot at Santa Fe Gardens in Santa Fe last fall. It was 3 X 3 and covered in thousands of electric blue tiny flowers ans darling small evergrey leaves. I know my Sages/Salvias but had never seen this nguy. They sold it to me as an annual Germander Sage and I prayed it would make it in my hot, south facing driveway bed against the house. I planted it in Nov. and have been thrilled that it not only made it through our cold winter but it's growing quickly and is very happy. It is a warm spring already and it started blooming this week. I just found them being sold at Plants of the Southwest as Mexican Sage and am thrilled to plant a second one!

Neutral XemaSab On Apr 12, 2012, XemaSab from Redding, CA wrote:

I had two of them growing in part shade and they both developed a sickly weeping habit. I have since chopped them back and moved them to full sun and they look much perkier.

Neutral risingcreek On Dec 4, 2011, risingcreek from sun city, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

lost alll of these i planted to the first frost of the season, so dont see how they can be hardy to zone 7. (i am in 9a) it is a lovely plant and hopefully it will come back next year

Positive mcrousse On Jun 2, 2011, mcrousse from Holly Springs, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have grown this plant successfully in a raised bed. It did not grow well in the ground. I only water it when it is bone-dry, and it flowers more profusely when watered every now and then. It overwintered well in that raised bed, and wintersows easily.
This plant is a little fussy but once you get it in the right spot, it shines. The blue flowers are gorgeous.

Positive cloud91977 On Oct 28, 2010, cloud91977 from Spring Valley, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

The color of the flower petals is just beautiful anyway, but in the light of the evening sun, or next to pinks and other blues in a vase, it's dazzling!

This is one of those plants that is a breeze to propagate from cuttings. All of ours come from older stems that had been accidentally broken off the parent and then stuck directly into the soil (next to newer plants that were still being watered regularly). Within a couple of weeks, all of the 'cutting' were producing scads of new leaves.

In our zone 10W/SS 24 garden, they now get watered once a week when it's very hot (high 90's) in the summer and once or twice a month when it's not raining. They've never been fertilized, and are growing in clay-loam with some extra grit for better winter drainage.

Neutral imapigeon On Sep 22, 2008, imapigeon from Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I've had this in my "meadow garden" for a couple of years. The foliage on this plant is a standout backdrop for other plants, and when it blooms (for me quite early in the spring) it's just gorgeous. The downside is it spreads via underground runners, and I have to keep it under control. It can get really woody, and I've learned the hard way to prune it severely and dig out around the main plant to keep it from taking over the whole area.

Positive krdixon On May 16, 2007, krdixon from Albuquerque, NM (Zone 7a) wrote:

I simply love this plant. Its electric-blue flowers bloom from mid Spring until late Fall for me, with a good trimming in mid Summer. It has wonderful sage smell and the blue-gray foliage makes a wonderful contrast.

This sage is water thrifty (xeric) and will die if even moderately over-watered. The topology of my garden caused one to receive too much water and it has since died.

This is not a cold-hardy sage. I live in Albuquerque, NM (Zone 7a), and I've lost two of six Germander Sages over various winters, so I wouldn't try planting in any colder climates.

Positive nwest On Oct 19, 2005, nwest from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

Easy to grow, attractive, casual sage that does well in the coastal areas of California. Needs little to no summer water but doesn't mind a little water once or twice a month. In the LA area this Salvia seems to bloom twice a year. A perfuse bloom in the spring followed by a secondary bloom in the September to October time frame. Attractive and easy.

Neutral cghoover8 On Nov 6, 2004, cghoover8 from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

I am a sucker for shrubby salvia, and although my planting is still quite young, I think that I am going to like this one even better than its cousin, Autumn Sage. I know this plant as Mexican Blue or Chihuahuan Sage. It has silver leaves and electric blue flowers, and can be used either as a perennial or a small shrub. It lacks the polish of a highly cultivated plant, but looks beautiful in casual xeric settings. I prefer to deadhead shrubby salvias because I don't like the twiggy look of the exhausted flower stems. I have also seen Autumn Sage underplanted with Side-oats grama grass working very effectively to camouflage the twigs.

Chandler, Arizona
Santa Ana, California
Spring Valley, California
Hebron, Kentucky
Louisville, Kentucky
Albuquerque, New Mexico (4 reports)
Las Cruces, New Mexico