PlantFiles: Field Scabiosa
Knautia macedonica 'Thunder and Lightning'

Family: Caprifoliaceae (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info) (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Knautia (NAW-tee-uh) (Info)
Species: macedonica (mas-eh-DON-ih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Thunder and Lightning
Additional cultivar information: (aka Thunder & Lightning)
Registered or introduced: 2010

Violet/Lavender

Variegated
Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

This plant is resistant to deer

Patented

Thumbnail #1 of Knautia macedonica by aegir

Thumbnail #2 of Knautia macedonica by aegir

Thumbnail #3 of Knautia macedonica by aegir

Thumbnail #4 of Knautia macedonica by aegir

Thumbnail #5 of Knautia macedonica by DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #6 of Knautia macedonica by DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #7 of Knautia macedonica by DaylilySLP

Positive ms_greenjeans On Jun 14, 2013, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I planted two of these last summer--LOVE the color combination and would have gotten more but I was unsure of the zone ratings. Most say zone 5. That hasn't stopped me before, but I usually don't go whole hog until I'm sure they will work here. They looked wonderful and bloomed for quite a long time (I kept them deadheaded). It's too early for them to bloom yet this year, but the foliage is lovely - a full but tidy mound of beautifully variegated leaves. If they bloom anywhere near as well as they did last year, I'll be extremely happy.
Update - late June - everything is 3-4 weeks behind here because of our weird spring, but these are starting to bloom now. There are a lot of buds! In spite of 2-3 times normal rainfall, these do not appear to be unhappy like a lot of my other perennials.
Update - late August - these have bloomed nonstop all summer long. It did get a bit sprawly, but either more sun or dividing will probably take care of that. This is a plant I will always want in my gardens.

Positive asb On Aug 19, 2012, asb from Stockton Springs, ME wrote:

I planted 3 plants in zone 5b last year (2011). All 3 came up healthy this year, and have bloomed prolifically all summer. However, one plant came up completely unvariegated, and the other 2 have portions that are unvariegated.

Neutral gardensangel On Aug 9, 2012, gardensangel from Suffield, CT wrote:

When healthy, "Thunder & Lightning" is a lovely massive ground cover. However, in the wet and humid conditions of THIS summer, the plants have been prone to a powdery mildew and severe leaf rot. I've already had to completely replace one plant. Several plants are rotting away, while a few others seem to be maintaing their shape and flowers. Not sure if I would plant these again.

Stockton Springs, Maine