PlantFiles: Bacopa
Sutera cordata

Family: Scrophulariaceae (skrof-yoo-larr-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Sutera (SOO-ter-uh) (Info)
Species: cordata (kor-DAY-tuh) (Info)

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Medium Blue
Purple

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

By stellapathic

Thumbnail #6 of Sutera cordata by ladyannne

By Wifeygirl
Thumbnail #7 of Sutera cordata by Wifeygirl

Positive Cricket77 On Oct 20, 2013, Cricket77 from Omaha, NE wrote:

I grew Bacopa for the first time this year. I had it in a hanging basket and and in another pot with other plants. Both were in full sun from 7 am to 8 pm. As long as they were watered, they both did very well. In fact, as of today, they are still in full bloom. I haven't decided whether to take them inside and see if they will overwinter, but, in the next few days, we are to get frost, so I guess I might try it. I haven't seen any seed pods ripe enough to try and collect yet.

Positive vjp On Sep 7, 2013, vjp from Montrose, CA wrote:

I planted two 4" pots of Bycopa in late winter 2011/12 as a ground cover to see how they would do in hot summer sun next to a south-facing wall. They took off so fast in the spring, and did so great in the summer, that this following spring I bought five more plants to add. One died, but the rest almost cover the whole area and look really nice and green. Only problem is I can't seem to propagate them. I've tried various directions with no success. I've been trying this in summer. Do I need to wait until next spring?

Positive nutzoverplants On Jan 14, 2013, nutzoverplants from Newnan, GA wrote:

Bought 2 small nearly dead Sutera Cordata 'Snowstorm' summer 2012. Trimmed them back and gave them water. Within a couple days they started growing and have flowered continuously since then. They still bring me such joy even in January with there cascading white flowers! If they ever die,they will be replaced ASAP as this has become one of my very favorite plants! Their only down-side is that they have a real big thirst for H2O!

Positive sanjosekate On Jan 2, 2013, sanjosekate from San Jose, CA wrote:

Looking for alyssum, I found none for sale and bought this instead for a planter waiting for bulbs to bloom. I have a new love. It is much more luxurious, fit for a fine estate. Hasn't stopped blooming very prettily even though we've had temps down at 40. Rains and sprinkles have kept it quite wet. I'll be adding this all over the place to underplant anything with a bit of sun.

Neutral Sonny_Skydiver On Jun 26, 2010, Sonny_Skydiver from dL'Anse, MI (Zone 4b) wrote:

Just purchased 2 Bacopa (white) in hanging baskets on 26 June 2010. They are hanging about 18" below. I will find out how tough these plants (zone 10) are. Zone 3 is only one mile away from my zone 4b on the south shore of Lake Superior. I plan on retiring them to my garage for the winter. Will they survive at 38 to 42 degrees for 7 months?

Neutral Nana36 On Apr 24, 2010, Nana36 from Arlington, TX wrote:

I recently planted this plant in pots...it has not bounced back and is brittle..Do I need to pinch it back and let it start over or what do you suggest? I see most of you have had great success with it and I look forward to the same..thanks

Positive tinytwist On Apr 7, 2010, tinytwist from Galt, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Despite the fact that this plant is semi-aquatic (from what I understand) and a shade plant, I grew it with outstanding results in full sun on my back porch during the heat of summer last year - that's a good 10 hours of sweltering sun a day! (Anyone who grows in Florida will understand just how tough this means the plant is.) I only watered it once a day, in the evening/night, and it survived just fine even when I forgot to water it for a day or two. I'm so impressed I'll be using it in a real garden as a 'living mulch' this year. I'll be getting this for years to come!

Negative floy On Jun 21, 2009, floy from Baker, LA wrote:

I have bought 4 of these plants, and 3 have died within 2
months. Not sure what went wrong--I went by all the rules.
The one that is still alive, is barely hanging on. I live in
Louisiana--I won't buy another.

Positive vossner On Jul 2, 2008, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I use it to fill my plumeria pots. They seem to co-exist quite happily. My pot is in a bright shade location.

Positive 4paws On Jul 2, 2008, 4paws from Citra, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I purchased one bacopa in the spring of 2007 and it is now several plants in various pots and in the ground. It roots easily from cuttings, spreads consistently, and made it through the winter during which we had some freezing temps and also several days of snow.

Positive Lily_love On Apr 17, 2007, Lily_love from Central, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

In years past I've used this delicate looking plant as my bigger pots' fillers. They did beautiful job as an added highlight interest. After I've learned from others' experiences. I definately try to plant them as ground covers. Easy care, grow rapidly in semi-sun/shade area in zone 7b.

Positive JenniferSM On May 2, 2006, JenniferSM from Woodland, CA wrote:

What a work-horse! I've planted several of these little beauties all throughout my deep-shade garden and they seem to be very happy. It seems that an inch is added a weeek in this ground-hugging plant. It likes to be watered regularly, but did survive a bit of neglect. It also survived some frost this winter!

I love it!

Positive MelJayTanner On Apr 21, 2006, MelJayTanner from Rochester, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

We planted two bacopa last year on a stone wall and they exceeded our expectations! Both grew all season long (even through a VERY hot summer) and bloomed the entire time. They grow very quickly and if left alone they may overrun nearbly low growing plants, so trimming is definitely neccessary.

Positive Wifeygirl On Mar 28, 2006, Wifeygirl from (Caitlin) Fresno, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I like this plant very much. Perfect for planting in a pot with other plants, it trails down the edge and blooms constantly. Mine loves the afternoon sun it gets. I have kept it very wet, and it has rained a lot, and it is incredibly lush - it loves those conditions. Also, you should know that the foliage smells very strongly when touched, and some people don't like the smell. I don't mind it myself.

It also does bloom from "dead" foliage, so even if it looks like it is dead, try watering it and giving it sun, it might come back. It is a perfect trailing plant in a hanging basket. However, if you don't keep it constantly moist, it will start sacrificing branches and letting them grow brown and crispy. Even though it may bloom from the dead growth, it ends up looking rather ratty. I've had best luck by cutting off any dead foliage from dry spells and trying to do better about keeping it wet - that has resulted in a green and lush looking plant.

I've also taken a few clippings and it rooted fairly easily. I just stripped the bottom leaves and put it in a cup of water by a bright window. It grew roots in 2-3 weeks.

Positive isom On Aug 1, 2005, isom from Mission BC
Canada (Zone 8b) wrote:

I live near Vancouver, BC - zone 7b or 8a - it seems to be climbing with global warming.

I bought bacopa (Sutera cordata), the first two years I've used it, to add to planters & hanging baskets I make myself. It grew vigorously & I would have to clip it back to prevent it taking over the planters. Much better than something that refuses to grow!

But since then, I haven't had to buy any more as I found that it dropped tiny seeds & whenever they landed on soil, tiny plants came up the following spring that I transplanted & used instead.

I've taken cuttings from them too & overwintered them inside. Since our winters are wet & cloudy, they don't get enough sun inside. If you have grow lights, this can be overcome. But I still used the inside plant to take cuttings & develop bushy plants for transplanting in pots outside in spring.

I've only grown bacopa in planters & pots which means they don't survive our winters, mild as they are. This year, I'm going to put some into the ground to see if they make it through. If they do, I'll let others know.

I find for bloom coverage, the white outdoes the others. The 'blue' I got one year was barely blue (looked more grey at a distance), & there wasn't nearly as many flowers. Maybe the newer hybrids are better as this was a few years back.

Positive hanna1 On Sep 20, 2004, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Whenever I transplant other plants from their plastic containers into new ones, I like adding it around my major plant, it brightens them up.

Positive diccene On Aug 29, 2004, diccene from Edgemont, SD (Zone 5a) wrote:

I saw this plant in a "greenhouse" at my local food store. I purchased the large hanging basket because of the delicate white flowers and beautiful green trailing leafy stems. It was planted of course in a cheap plastic hanging pot. After almost loosing it from the high winds, it transplanted it in a clay pot, I thought I had lost it, but....it's now coming back beautifully, it has even produced leaves and flowers on some of the "dead" stems. I will be keeping it inside through the winter so that it will once again look as beautiful as when I bought it (I hope). To think I almost threw it away!! I also purchased 3 starters and planted them right away in a clay hanging pot, it's small but beautiful. Bacopa is a very beautiful hardy plant..but it does love water. I have gyp water that is ran through a water softner, I'm not sure if this is inhibiting it's growth or not.

Neutral tulip523 On Jul 16, 2004, tulip523 from Hackettstown, NJ (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have just added this delightful looking plant to my porch garden. I will have to learn as much as I can about growing tips but from my understanding this plant does well when it's fertilized twice a month in a garden and once a week in a container. It also does extremely well if a well- balanced plant food high in nitrogen is used.

I will be sure and let everyone know how mine progresses.

Positive Ellymay On Jun 1, 2004, Ellymay from Ontario
wrote:

This plant can be started from cutting, remove the lower leaves and start in soil with a cover. It grows roots within a week. I have only had success with the whites, the mauve/blues seem to go moldy and die.

Positive BAUMSCHULER On May 22, 2003, BAUMSCHULER from Oakpark, VA wrote:

I have been a fan of Bridal Veil for many years but Bacopa has as many blossoms and they are bigger and whiter.

Neutral JanetR On Sep 8, 2001, JanetR from Ottawa, ON (Zone 4a) wrote:

This dainty little plant is usually grown as a trailing plant in baskets, but can be used as groundcover. In warm climates it may survive its first winter. Very easy to propagate from cuttings.

Albion, California
Brea, California
Castro Valley, California
Clayton, California
Fairfield, California
Fountain Valley, California
Hoopa, California
Jacumba, California
La Verne, California (2 reports)
Long Beach, California
Mountain View, California
San Jose, California (2 reports)
Santa Barbara, California