PlantFiles: Jumpseed, Virginia Knotweed
Persicaria virginiana var. filiformis 'Painter's Palette'

Family: Polygonaceae
Genus: Persicaria (per-sih-KAR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: virginiana var. filiformis
Cultivar: Painter's Palette
Additional cultivar information: (Variegata Group)

Synonym:Persicaria filiforme

Coral/Apricot

Variegated
Dark/Black
Good Fall Color

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

By Gabrielle

By Terry
Thumbnail #6 of Persicaria virginiana var. filiformis by Terry

By poppysue
Thumbnail #7 of Persicaria virginiana var. filiformis by poppysue

Positive edenmb On Oct 2, 2014, edenmb from Huntington Station, NY (Zone 7b) wrote:

Given to me by a friend, I absolutely adore this plant and have been enjoying sharing the "babies" with other friends. It seems to grow in places where I haven't been able to cultivate anything pretty. I love the colors.. I don't love the flowers but I am happy to have them in October! If it grows where I don't want it, it is easy to remove (but, again, I love it so when I remove it, I pot it for gifts).

Positive jon4de On Jun 20, 2014, jon4de from Bay Shore, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

I got this on the recommendation of Stan Megos at Variegated Foliage in Eastford, CT a great place to see how it thrives in part-to-full shade. As others have stated, its foliage really does brighten up a shady area. I had let the spikes go to seed, but held out little hope of anything coming up after a particularly nasty winter here in the Northeast. However, I was thrilled to see that the main plant and about two dozen babies were one of the first things up this spring. I will admit that the self-seeds did cover a large area, a diameter of about 12-15 feet, but that was fine with me. Because of the variegation, they are easy to spot, and can be replanted without skipping a beat; or removed, for anyone not wanting new plants. Thanks to Stan for convincing me to try it, I cant imagine how Ive lived without this beauty for so long.

Positive kmenzel On Oct 18, 2013, kmenzel from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

I started this from seed from a seed exchange many years ago, and it is one of my shade favorites here in St. Paul, MN. The "red antenna" flowers are such a treat in the fall. It seeds a lot, but the plants are easy to pull, pot, or transplant if you don't like where they end up. My original patch (along with lots of other tried-and-true troopers...weird year) died during the winter of 2012-2013, but my secondary patch came back better than ever, as did lots of seedlings.

Neutral Gabrielle On Feb 28, 2012, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

A nice looking Persicaria, though seeds itself a bit too freely. Easy enough to pull out, I suppose. Blooms September-October in my garden.

Positive daddw On Oct 7, 2010, daddw from Seattle, WA wrote:

I grow this in part shade and the leaf color is creamy, with green and burgundy accents, but mainly cream. It brightens things up a lot, especially when it blooms, in fall. It is quite vigorous and requires no care. It reseeds profusely, but the seedlings are easy to pull out ( and to share!). Seattle.

Positive turektaylor On Aug 25, 2009, turektaylor from Elizabeth City, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

highly recommend - doesn't seem as aggressive as other Persicaria. i agree with all the other Daver's that it's a great addition to your shade garden for the variegation. the flowers are quite unique and beautiful but you need to be within 10 feet to see them but when you do, they REALLY 'pop' from the vivid color.

Positive boneyween On May 11, 2006, boneyween from Shawnee Mission, KS wrote:

If you want something that will naturalize in a dry, shady area, I highly recommend this perennial. I planted two of them several years ago in a mostly vacant bed under a large, dense tree. The soil is very poor and thick with tree roots, so I had a hard time finding things that would thrive there. After a few years of flowering, dozens of seedlings have sprouted in the open areas under the tree. When I planted them, I didn't know they would spread at all, but I am very pleased with the result. The variegated foliage really brightens up the otherwise dim area where little else will tolerate the dry, root-bound, poor soil. The tiny, red flowers in late summer are a nice bonus. Full shade, or at least afternoon shade, is strongly recommended.

Positive lilystorm On Sep 3, 2005, lilystorm from San Jose, CA wrote:

I've been growing this for just a few months, but am very impressed so far. The leaf color has so many beautiful variations. Even if it never blooms, it's a good plant in my book.

Positive DarkPhoenix On Jun 9, 2002, DarkPhoenix from Sandpoint, ID wrote:

I just wanted to say that they DO bloom in captivity- I've had one in a pot for several years (afraid to put it out til I can manage to propagate it) and it's bloomed the last two years. It's the tricolor variegated, and I grew it from seed, and it's the only seed that germinated. No germination from the seeds it set, either. Not an easy propagator!

Neutral Terry On Sep 8, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

The foliage has a striking burgundy (black) chevron marking. The flowers are rather inconspicuous, but will help increase your plants (self-sows readily; plants will come true to parent.)

Some sources indicate the plant does not flower in cultivation, although many gardeners report reliable blooms from 1-year old plants.

Huntsville, Alabama
Newburgh, Indiana
Milo, Iowa
Shawnee Mission, Kansas
Ewing, Kentucky
Annapolis, Maryland (2 reports)
Bishopville, Maryland