PlantFiles: Aloe
Aloe mzimbana

Family: Aloaceae
Genus: Aloe (AL-oh) (Info)
Species: mzimbana

Cactus and Succulents

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Scarlet (Dark Red)

Thumbnail #6 of Aloe mzimbana by palmbob

Thumbnail #7 of Aloe mzimbana by palmbob

No positives

Neutral palmbob On Aug 19, 2011, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

got this aloe because I didn't have one and the name seemed exotic. This is a Malawian species that grows solitary or suckering, sometimes in very large groups. Now that I know that (thank goodness for Carter, Lavronos etc. new book on Aloes 2011!!) I wish I had not planted it where I did... may have to move it. This plant is a fast grower here in So Cal and has tripled in size in just a year, and is growing almost like a tree aloe (which is supposedly is not). Leaves are deep green and rosette gets up to 3' in diameter. Mine is getting partial shade, so not sure how it would look in full, all day, hot, inland summer sun, but looks impossbile green so far. Not seen it flower yet, but photos show capitate red flowers... no idea what time of year, though.

My plant is flowering right now (December) which is pretty remarkable as it is only 3-4 years old (some aloes take a dozen years or more to make a flower... thouigh some in less time even that this). At this time, my plant has yet to make on offset so its location in the garden is still OK. Will be moving to zone 9a... will be a true test of this plant's hardiness (or I will have to give it away).

Reseda, California