PlantFiles: Bear's Garlic, Ramsons, Wild Garlic
Allium ursinum

Family: Alliaceae
Genus: Allium (AL-ee-um) (Info)
Species: ursinum (ur-SEE-num) (Info)

Bulbs

Thumbnail #5 of Allium ursinum by kniphofia

Thumbnail #6 of Allium ursinum by kniphofia

Thumbnail #7 of Allium ursinum by kniphofia

Neutral cabngirl On Mar 26, 2012, cabngirl from Sonoma, CA wrote:

Just an FYI: reading up on this plant and saw it listed as a noxious weed in some areas- probably best to research before planting.

Neutral berkeleygurl On May 13, 2010, berkeleygurl from Altadena, CA wrote:

In March I ordered thirty plants and was given a 15 day shipping window starting on April 17th. Being local, I wanted to pick up my plants. After calling and calling, I finally got through and Laurel told me that I could come and get them in a week. She also told me that they'd had trouble in the nursery and half of my plants weren't ready, but should be in another week. I decided not to wait and to go and get half the order, planning to return to get the rest a week later. She explained that she was doing the best she could but that I might have to take some substitutions.
I went to pick them up and a very personable woman confirmed that I should come back in a week for the rest.
It is now mid May, and I have been told that the rest of my order can't be filled because I placed my order too late. I can have substitutes for my original order.

So, my final review is mixed. the plants I was able to get are gorgeous and healthy. I am very happy with them.

But I now have to scramble 6 weeks after placing my order to get tomatoes elsewhere.I wish there had been better communication earlier, so I could have made arrangements to accommodate the change.

I think that Laurel really knows her stuff, grows exceptional plants, is very nice, but maybe needs to get some more office help.

Probably would have been a better experience if I had ordered fewer plants.
I will probably suffer through the pain of Tomatomania next year.

Hence the neutral review, but must say that her plants if you get them are beautiful and the transactions very pleasant. Just order super early and call a lot during office hours. If the voicemail is full, keep trying!!!!!
Again, nice lady.

Positive shinystarz On Aug 7, 2006, shinystarz from Richmond, VA wrote:

Allium Ursinum is edible -- for humans, but.like other members of the allium family, can be toxic to pets --especially dogs. Allium ursinum is often used when making garlic supplements -- for reducing cholestrol and general cardiac health. It's done quite well here in central VA. though it is, by no means, invasive.

Positive barby34 On May 26, 2004, barby34 from Saint Albans, VT (Zone 4b) wrote:

I find this an interesting plant in my woodland garden. It was my mystery plant when I first moved to VT 4 years ago and now I enjoy waiting for the delicate blooms to appear on their red stems.

Neutral Baa On Sep 8, 2001, Baa wrote:

Vigorous spreading bulb from Most of Europe. Has two broad, bright green strap like leaves. Bears flat topped, umbels of 6-20 white star shaped flowers.

Flowers April to June.

Native of woods and shaded meadows and happily spreads everywhere. The whole plant smells strongly of garlic and can even taint the milk of dairy animals if they eat it. Enjoys a damp, lightly shaded spot without too much competition. They will even tolerate boggy soils.

Saint Albans, Vermont