Bear's Garlic, Ramsons, Wild Garlic

Allium ursinum

Family: Alliaceae
Genus: Allium (AL-ee-um) (Info)
Species: ursinum (ur-SEE-num) (Info)

Saint Albans, Vermont

Richmond, Virginia

On Mar 26, 2012, cabngirl from Sonoma, CA wrote:

Just an FYI: reading up on this plant and saw it listed as a noxious weed in some areas- probably best to research before planting.

On May 13, 2010, berkeleygurl from Altadena, CA wrote:

In March I ordered thirty plants and was given a 15 day shipping window starting on April 17th. Being local, I wanted to pick up my plants. After calling and calling, I finally got through and Laurel told me that I could come and get them in a week. She also told me that they'd had trouble in the nursery and half of my plants weren't ready, but should be in another week. I decided not to wait and to go and get half the order, planning to return to get the rest a week later. She explained that she was doing the best she could but that I might have to take some substitutions.
I went to pick them up and a very personable woman confirmed that I should come back in a week for the rest.
It is now mid May, and I have been told that the rest of my order can't be filled because I plac... read more

On Aug 7, 2006, shinystarz from Richmond, VA wrote:

Allium Ursinum is edible -- for humans, other members of the allium family, can be toxic to pets --especially dogs. Allium ursinum is often used when making garlic supplements -- for reducing cholestrol and general cardiac health. It's done quite well here in central VA. though it is, by no means, invasive.

On May 26, 2004, barby34 from Saint Albans, VT (Zone 4b) wrote:

I find this an interesting plant in my woodland garden. It was my mystery plant when I first moved to VT 4 years ago and now I enjoy waiting for the delicate blooms to appear on their red stems.

On Sep 8, 2001, Baa wrote:

Vigorous spreading bulb from Most of Europe. Has two broad, bright green strap like leaves. Bears flat topped, umbels of 6-20 white star shaped flowers.

Flowers April to June.

Native of woods and shaded meadows and happily spreads everywhere. The whole plant smells strongly of garlic and can even taint the milk of dairy animals if they eat it. Enjoys a damp, lightly shaded spot without too much competition. They will even tolerate boggy soils.