Tatsoi, Tah Tsai, Spinach Mustard, Spoon Mustard

Brassica rapa var. rosularis

Family: Brassicaceae (brass-ih-KAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Brassica (BRAS-ee-ka) (Info)
Species: rapa var. rosularis

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Little Rock, Arkansas

Thompsons Station, Tennessee

South Padre Island, Texas

Madison, Wisconsin

On Jan 19, 2015, lzyjo from Thompsons Station, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I can't say enough about the greatness of Tatsoi. Excellent germination, fast growth and unrivaled cold tolerance. Survived single-digit temperatures in my cold frame when other winter greens failed.

Now, about the flavor. Mustard spinach is a very apropos name. It has the rich, dark, green flavor of spinach with the zest of mustard. Stems are juicy and crunchy, and leaves are generally tender with a few strings. Works great in salads and stir fries. Some folks put it in bowls and pour hot broth over, so it cooks itself. However, I love it in eggs foo young! Saute onion, greens, celery, maybe sprouts. Add this to beaten eggs along with cooked and chopped shrimp or meat, and pour into a small pan to make a nice thick-ish omelet. Serve with soy and sriracha. So good!
... read more

On May 24, 2012, buckooroo from Baker City, OR wrote:

This wonderful plant grows great in this area of Eastern Oregon. Planted it on March 28 and getting numerous pickings as of May 24th.....fast and delicious.

On Jan 6, 2011, Calalily from Deep South Coastal, TX (Zone 10a) wrote:

We grow this plant almost year round and harvest it regularly for salads and stir fry. It gives a nice flavor to vegetable soup also. It is easy to grow, the seeds usually germinate in less than a week. It is ready for baby greens in about 3 weeks.
For cut and come again, we plant in rows, spaced about 3- 4 inches apart. To harvest as a nice rosette, it needs about 6 inches.

On Nov 1, 2008, lynn9x from Chaparral, NM wrote:

I planted two seeds in a small container. They sprouted in sev weeks and have continued to grow rapidly ever since. These beautiful, easy to grow plants are my favorite veggies now.

On Jun 15, 2007, CedarBerry from Oakland, OR wrote:

Our poor garden soil (acidic clay) has failed repeatedly to grow spinach and lettuce, despite amendments. Tatsoi is the first salad green we've been successful with--it grows very quickly and tastes delicious. Highly recommended!

On Oct 10, 2006, rebecca101 from Madison, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

My favorite Asian green at the moment. Forms a rosette of spoon-shaped, very dark green leaves. Good spicy flavor about the intensity of bok choy - not too bitter for me like some mustards, but not too bland either. Small leaves can be used raw in mesclun, or cooked in stir-fry. I've found it to be tolerant of all sorts of weather. Lasts well into the cold, but also the second last Asian green (last is mizuna) to bolt for me in summer from a spring planting. Retains good flavor in heat as well. Easy and fast growing.

On May 5, 2004, Greenfiend from Leominster, MA wrote:

Easy to grow. Extremely cold-hardy. Early spring or fall planting. Can be harvested under snow. Great in soups, salads & stir frys. Highly nutricious.

On Feb 5, 2003, shootingstar wrote:

This is a easy to grow green that has a very dark green thick leaf,mild flavor,likes cool weather.has a tendency to bolt during our long alaska day length. This one of my favorites in my salad garden. Great in stir fry or straight into the salad.