Blue Daze, Hawaiian Blue Eyes
Evolvulus glomeratus 'Blue Daze'

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Evolvulus (ee-VOLV-yoo-lus) (Info)
Species: glomeratus (glahm-er-AH-tus) (Info)
Cultivar: Blue Daze

Fallbrook, California

La Jolla, California

Long Beach, California

Vista, California

Big Pine Key, Florida (2 reports)

Brooksville, Florida

Clearwater, Florida (2 reports)

Deerfield Beach, Florida

Deltona, Florida

Eustis, Florida

Havana, Florida

Hollywood, Florida (2 reports)

Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)

Lakeland, Florida

Mayo, Florida

Merritt Island, Florida

New Port Richey, Florida

North Palm Beach, Florida

Ocala, Florida

Orlando, Florida (2 reports)

Ormond Beach, Florida

Parrish, Florida

Pompano Beach, Florida

Safety Harbor, Florida

Saint Cloud, Florida

Saint Petersburg, Florida

Sarasota, Florida (2 reports)

Satellite Beach, Florida

Wichita, Kansas

Hebron, Kentucky

Nortonville, Kentucky

Kentwood, Louisiana

New Orleans, Louisiana (2 reports)

Prairieville, Louisiana

North Augusta, South Carolina

Pawleys Island, South Carolina

Pinopolis, South Carolina

Sevierville, Tennessee

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Bulverde, Texas

Conroe, Texas

Fort Stockton, Texas

Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)

Galveston, Texas

Wylie, Texas

Martinsville, Virginia

negative

On Aug 16, 2014, oscarocala from Ocala, FL wrote:

Blue Haze is so easy to propagate....take a single stem cutting...dip it in rooting hormone and stick it in the ground. Did one as kind of as a joke and it took perfectly. I will probably do about fifty...love this plant. Interested to see how it winters in north central FL.

On Jun 7, 2012, smalltowngirl68 from Fort Stockton, TX wrote:

Just bought this plant and it's doing great..only thing is the little grasshopper/crickets like to get on them. Wondering id these little green leggy crickets do any harm to it? I can't seem to find any leaves being eaten..

On Nov 2, 2010, bulldogfive from Cedar Point, KS wrote:

I'm glad to finally know what I've got. I bought it at a Walmart in northern Illinois the day before I moved back to Kansas. In transit the tag was lost and I couldn't remember what it was. That was over a year ago in mid-summer. I put it in a pot and kept it on the south facing porch all summer. As long as I kept it watered it did well and bloomed, but with our strong winds here I had to watch it (and all the other potted plants). I brought it in for the winter last year and again this year and it sits in the south facing sun room and keeps blooming and blooming. I keep it watered and it seems to do well. Since I've just learned it favors more acidic soil, I'll occasionally give it some coffee grounds like I do my potted azalea.

On Sep 30, 2010, bluesmaven from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

I love this plant! I bought 3 plants and put them in hanging baskets and they look really great!

On Mar 13, 2010, drmaris wrote:

I planted Blue Daze as ground cover in my front bed about 2 years ago and have loved it. It spread beautifully and bloomed year round, so last summer I added more in my back yard where it also thrived. This winter was unusally cold for the Houston area--dropping into the low 30s and upper 20s--and it froze solid and has died. I will replace it this spring as it has been a reliable blooming plant for more than half the day, year round. The garden seems lonely without it.

On Sep 18, 2009, Pillita from Keystone Heights, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have been able to overwinter this marvelous plant for several years now. It is planted under a tree and, covered heavily with pine straw on cold nights, it comes back larger every year. It tolerates drought very well, takes hot Florida afternoon sun and is planted in sand. The only downside is that the flowers don't last all day. Definitely the showiest plant in our yard.

On Jul 22, 2009, acertel7 from Bloomingdale, IL wrote:

Living in a zone 5 area, I can only grow Evolvulus in a container. I love the blue color, but it has stopped producing flowers. It is in a medium sized container with some Lantana and a spike, looks healthy and is in full sun. I wish I could make it happy! What am I missing?

On Jun 2, 2009, Rainbowman18 from Weston, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I have had the blue daze for almost a year and a half and used it as a ground cover in a couple of my front garden spots. We recently had a 5-month drought in south Florida and I lost some of the ones outside of the irrigated areas,
but all in all, I have to say they weathered the drought pretty well.

Right now I am on a hunt to get more and plant them in the spots that I lost them. They aren't quite ready from the local growers. It will take about a month to obtain them.

I plan on planting very small plants and will let them grow on their own. If another drought comes upon us, I will make sure I do some watering myself, although we have some water restrictions where I live.

I have had a very good experience with this perennial blue b... read more

On Jul 18, 2008, slrob from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

Fell in love with this when first planted in Orlando, Fl. Finally found it again and have used in Fort Worth, TX as a ground cover and container annual that was spectacular for the summer until first frost. Will try to overwinter inside the house for the first time this year in TX. Might be a bit messy but well worth it!!

On Apr 21, 2008, ladyscarlett from Conroe, TX wrote:

I have grown blue daze in both Louisiana zone 8b and in the Woodlands area of Texas zone 8b/9. I've had nothing but success in flowerbeds and containers. It has been come back every year. Doesn't like to dry out but when I see it beginning to droop then I add water.

On Mar 18, 2008, blueeyedaze from Mountain View, MO wrote:

Beautiful plant! Well worth the minumal effort needed for it to thrive. Kept it in a hanging pot for 2-3 years, not knowing much about it. Overwintered it in the house where we have wood heat, so we kept it moist. Wish I had known more about it's needs as we lost it a couple of years ago. Didn't even know how to propagate it. Have been looking for more starts ever since! Any suggestions? My local greenhouses & dept. stores haven't been carrying any the last few years.

On Oct 30, 2007, westguy3 from Brownsburg, IN wrote:

I bought this tropical sub-shrub about 6 years ago and have kept it in a container ever since, occasionally trimming it back (both the roots and the main plant) to keep it shaped like a sagebrush and giving it new soil and food. The only time I've ever had problems was the year I tried to overwinter it in a mini-greenhouse and it died back to one sprig and finally came back. Mine prefers dry air and occasional misting. Never overwater it or you'll kill it. I put it out only when temps are in the 70's, it always seems to get weak when they are lower which makes sense when you look at the zone it prefers (10). It's a family favorite and makes every one smile who sees it. My only neg. comment would be that it's somewhat a dirty plant for indoors because of all the dried blossoms it dro... read more

On Sep 20, 2007, azrobin from Scottsdale, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

Beautiful ground cover growing up to 1ft x 3ft. In AZ direct sun, blooms close and dry faster than if planted in dappled or afternoon sun. Water well once planted then tapper off. Can withstand arid, dry soil once established. This was the last one left at the nursery. Wish I could have purchased 2 more!

On Jul 29, 2007, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

This is the first time I planted it and I love it! I have it planted in several pots and it is beautiful! Love its shade of blue!

I'll have to make sure I plant it every year in my containers.

On May 16, 2007, alddesigns from Saint Cloud, FL wrote:

This plant is really wonderful! It likes to get regular moisture, but will survive drought conditions. I have a plant that I've had for about a year and it is still going strong. It is such a nice blue and the foliage is such a pretty grey green. It is very easy to keep it happy!

On May 29, 2006, amyferg from Mobile, AL wrote:

Wow, I really love this plant.I planted it last fall in pretty heavy shade but good soil and it has pretty much flowered on and off the whole time. Didnt seem to have a problem with a couple of freezes we had in the winter.

On Nov 8, 2005, crowellli from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have a large bed of periwinkles that are surrounded by Blue Daze. This bed is completely surrounded by concrete walkways and is in full sun all day long. I've had constant blooms from early spring and they are still going strong now in November. I've not watered them much because of the fungual problems with the periwinkles but they have still performed remarkably well during this hot dry summer here in Houston.

On Jun 15, 2005, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I was hoping to keep this plant going as a perrenial in my borderline Zone 8b/9a climate in NE Fla. It survived it's first winter and grew larger last year, but didn't return this Spring, even with a good covering of hay as winter mulch (winter temps went as low as 28 F on a few nights). I recently bought more of these plants to replace the ones that didn't return. As noted above, the "true" blue flowers make it a worthwhile addition when you are seeking blues for flowerbeds.

On Jun 14, 2005, rweiler from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

What fool in New Mexico would plant this plant? We are challenged by hot summers and cold winters -Zone 6b-7a- most resembling Colorado. I have planted many convolvulus so thought I'd try this (before researching). After reading all these comments I am not surprised it is not flowering much in my slightly alkaline soil and dry weather. It is alive and healthy though, so I'll keep it moist and throw some acidic fertilizer on it and see what happens!

On Jan 21, 2005, maraud from Trenton, NJ wrote:

I am in the gardening business and have used this plant both in the ground and in containers. It is wonderful in containers! One of my customers requires true blue flowers and this is definitely one of the few.

On Oct 17, 2004, KDePetrillo from North Scituate, RI (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grow Evolvulus glomeratus in pots and winter them over in the greenhouse. They produce charming blue flowers and are a very low-care plant. The variety I have was identified as "Blue Daze", rather than "Blue Haze" -- I don't know if it's the same variety and just mis-named, or if it's an entirely differnent variety. I have 3 of these and love them all.

- Kathleen (NW Rhode Island)

On Feb 18, 2004, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

This plant can be used as a perenial in the topics, as well. The flowers aren't very abundant though, so to make a "blue" garden bed, I would recomend mixing it with some blue flowered Commelina.

On Jul 10, 2003, Karenn from Mount Prospect, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I grow this as an annual in pots (zone 5A-4B) on the south side of my home. I love the blue flowers (all summer) the hotter it gets the more it spreads & flowers. In my area I am known as "one of the evolvolus junkies"!

On Jul 9, 2003, nipajo from Dallas, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

i have planted blue daze every year for about 5 years now. it forms a very low hedge once established. when i had it in a pot and brought it in before winter and bought it out in the spring it did not bloom. actually it slowly died in the house. it is a beautiful little plant that does not seem to have any insect problems.

On Apr 2, 2003, gerryp wrote:

I have grown this plant in Northern Virginia and in Central Florida. It is very sensitive to cold. I have lost VA plants planted a bit too early in the spring and they wither at the first sign of frost in the fall. In FL it flourishes year round as a bushy shrub standing 1-2 feet tall. In both environs, Blue Daze produces a continuous profusion of blue flowers and is an excellent groundcover around the base of trees.

On Mar 7, 2003, joie wrote:

this plant is perfect for a city window box, especially one that gets hot, blasting, intense sun. it is sooooo cheerful

On Nov 4, 2002, whitebear from Pensacola, FL wrote:

I began this plant as a bit of color for a party. I put it in a large pot at the front door (on the outside facing south) and thought nothing more about it. Three years later and it thrives hardier than ever, I've lost plants I've spent more time on!!

On Jun 9, 2002, signal20 from Orlando, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Planted as groundcover in zone 9b. Throw some fertilizer on it once in a while (6-6-6) and trim it back, thrives on neglect survived winter frosts to 20 f. Have split apart mature clumps to propagate successfully.

On May 15, 2002, Kmrsy from Fort Wayne, IN (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is actually a tender subshrub, not a perennial. Blooms do not occur at the tips, but along the stems. E. glomeratus (full name: glomeratus of the gardens, syn. E. pilosus) being a species is not patented, however, the cultivar E.g.'Blue Daze' may be. Cuttings start extremely easily. It's best to pinch at 3-4 weeks and then as needed for shape. Repeated pinching allows for a fuller plant with more flowers. Evolvulus 'Blue Daze' requires moisture, do not allow it to dry out. Mine have survived in pots in temps as low as 45, but they are happier and flower best in temps above 65. Because they grow quickly and flower heavily throughout the summer, they are a fairly heavy feeder.

On Mar 12, 2001, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Tender perennial often sold and grown as an annual. Blue flowers, resembling small morning glory flowers, bloom on the tips of trailing stems; useful as a groundcover or hanging basket. Small, soft gray-green leaves form attractive backdrop. Flowers close in the evening and on overcast days.