PlantFiles: Mignonette
Reseda odorata

Family: Resedaceae
Genus: Reseda (res-EE-duh) (Info)
Species: odorata (oh-dor-AY-tuh) (Info)

Not Applicable

Thumbnail #5 of Reseda odorata by Gardening_Jim

By mgarr
Thumbnail #6 of Reseda odorata by mgarr

Neutral lilyovalley On Feb 20, 2013, lilyovalley from Carmel, IN wrote:

I had known about this plant and its famous fragrance, so was really happy to see some for sale last spring. It grew well in a 6-inch pot on my front porch (the blooms reminded me somewhat of tiarella flowers); and I waited ... and waited for the scent to reveal itself. Nothing! Very disappointed.

A year later, I was lucky to have won a fresh pack of reseda 'Machet' and I will plant them with hope in my heart -- and my nose twitching .

Positive pwdoodle On Apr 8, 2011, pwdoodle from Ilkeston
United Kingdom wrote:

My Grandmother used to sow seeds of Mignonette, Stock and Night-scented Stock mixed together to provide perfume during the day and in the evening.

Neutral paracelsus On Dec 28, 2008, paracelsus from Elmira, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have grown this plant also and was disappointed that it had no scent. Then I found out that certain flowers cannot be smelled by a minority of people. This is one of them. It's just genetics. OTOH, such as we can perceive the rich, anise scent of white oleander, which is unscented for most people.

Negative Ishtar64 On Jun 20, 2006, Ishtar64 from Cedartown, GA wrote:

No luck for me with this plant. The few times when seeds germinated the plants were completely scentless. The reddish, tiny flowers do have a certain appeal, but it was the famous scent I wanted. I've been told that a lot of the seed offered in the trade produces scentless plants.

Negative solidago_caesia On Aug 26, 2005, solidago_caesia from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

I'm deeply disappointed in this plant. I grew some because I had read that mignonette odor was supposed to be so wonderful and strong. My plants smelled weakly of grape kool-aid. They otherwise looked pretty healthy.

Positive ceeadsalaskazone3 On Feb 11, 2003, ceeadsalaskazone3 from Seward, AK wrote:

Sowing: Indoors- Sow sparingly, just pressing into soil surface (seeds require light for germination); once seeds emerge, grow cool. Outdoors- Sow in situ late April to mid-May (May to mid-June here in Seward). Don't delay sowing for too long, because seed may not germinate in warm summer conditions. (We don't have to worry about that here in Seward, Alaska.) Keep moist, and thin as seedlings appear to at least 6" apart (one plant will bloom nicely in a 5-6" pot). Good for sun or part shade, but bear in mind that mignonette is not drought tolerant, preferring a rich, heavy, alkaline soil, cool moist conditions, and regular watering and fertilizing to produce the best, most fragrant spikes.
Common Mignonette): Somewhat sprawling HHA, 16-18" high at maturity, with tender green foliage and stems and vaguely burr-like, greenish-white flowers sometimes tinged reddish. Nobody grows mignonette for show; it's the fragrance cottage gardeners have prized since the 18th Century. Great for tucking here and there in window boxes and borders among unscented annuals or perennials. (In Western gardens since 1752).

Positive lupinelover On Jan 29, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Mignonette is one of the most fragrant flowers, even if they are fairly insignificant. They do not transplant well, so it is best to direct-seed them where they are to grow. Plant them from early through late spring -- they flower in 2-3 months.

Santa Ana, California
Troy, New York
Bucyrus, Ohio
Hulbert, Oklahoma
Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania
Harlingen, Texas (2 reports)
Laredo, Texas