PlantFiles: Snap Bean, French Bean
Phaseolus vulgaris 'Velour'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Phaseolus (FAZ-ee-oh-lus) (Info)
Species: vulgaris (vul-GAIR-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Velour

Vegetables

Open Pollinated

Growth Habit:
Bush

51 to 60 days

No positives

Neutral nmbirder On Sep 2, 2012, nmbirder from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

Positive: the seeds were fresh and had good germination and growth. The purple color was attractive.
Negative: The beans were quite tough, despite their small diameter. They became woody almost as soon as they were picking size. They did not do well in New Mexico's heat. They might be better in a cooler, moister climate. They did not have much flavor. I had better results with either Maxibel or Jade bush beans.
They were grown in containers with a consistent drip irrigation that the other types had. I have gardened this way for almost 20 years and think I have worked out a lot of the bugs in my system.
I purchased them from Territorial Seed, and had no issues with the packaging or quality of the seed.
I always try something new each year, but I won't get this variety again.

Neutral Farmerdill On Nov 19, 2010, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

"Extra-fine" grade beans are short, 4-5" long, with straight, slender, bright purple pods.