PlantFiles: Hummingbird Sage, Texas Sage, Scarlet Sage
Salvia coccinea 'Summer Jewel Red'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Salvia (SAL-vee-uh) (Info)
Species: coccinea (kok-SIN-ee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Summer Jewel Red

» View all varieties of Salvias

By AAS_NGB
Thumbnail #1 of Salvia coccinea by AAS_NGB

Positive gtbabic On Nov 1, 2013, gtbabic from The Villages, FL wrote:

I planted about six plants, and for a while they looked very lonely. But once they started to flower, they self-seeded readily but not out of control. I have had a nice bed of red flowers from March through late October and no sign of slowing down even though I have not dead-headed them much. It is easy to collect some seeds for next year. The seeds do get around and new outcrops have sprung up around the garden, though easy to weed out if unwanted. But I have let them grow as they are adding color as others are fading. Very attractive and don't need any care at all. Mine are bright red though unsure about exact variety.

Positive Bazuhi On Aug 11, 2013, Bazuhi from Downers Grove, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

August 2013(First Time Growing This Plant)
Purchased this plant thinking it was another plant that hummingbirds really like. I thought I struck a gold mine but I have not really seen the hummingbirds hanging over these plants like the others.
I have them planted in pots in different areas and they are doing very well even in the heat but really wanted more hummer flowers.
They are a shorter plant then the other sage so mid garden type of plant.
benefits from dead heading with more blooms...
They do reseed freely so will be interesting to see what I get. I have already taken the new plants and placed them into a veg garden to see what happens.

Positive Suzy_Bee On Nov 6, 2011, Suzy_Bee from Spring, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Planted 20 or so in my butterfly-bee-hummingbird garden this spring, and the critters just love them. They are in partial sun, and I water them less frequently than I do the rest of the garden. They are still flowering and growing, almost too well--some are over 3' tall and falling over from the weight. I've been dead-heading them all summer, so perhaps that's why they branched out so much and taken on extra weight.

Some have self-sown. Since the bees are still flocking to them, I'm unsure as to whether or not I should trim all back.

Neutral Marilynbeth On Jan 11, 2011, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

Bred by Takii & Co, Ltd.

2011 All American Selection Bedding Plant Award Winner.

Chandler, Arizona