Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Cherry/Plum Tomato 'Blush'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Blush

Oakland, California

Panama City, Florida

Copperas Cove, Texas

On May 18, 2016, debles from Tulsa, OK wrote:

I grew this tomato for the first time a few years ago and have been planting at least one or two of them since then.
My brother is one of those people who doesn't care for raw tomatoes, but loves every form of processed tomatoes from sauce to salsa.
Blush tomatoes were very prolific for me and held up longer than most tomatoes after being picked.
Their skin is a little thick, so that's probably why they have a longer counter or shelf life than most.
They are extremely sweet and even my brother enjoyed them raw.
I used a lot of them sliced on pizza or sliced on salads.
Such a pretty tomato with the red striping on the yellow fruit.
I only put in two plants this year, but if they are as prolific as they've been in the past, I'll ... read more

On Sep 7, 2013, dorisv from Oakland, CA wrote:

Productive and tasty fruit from this small fruited tomato variety. It developed wilt right as the first clusters ripened, but they were delicious nonetheless. I will try to grow this again next year.

On Jan 29, 2013, charleyball from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

blush is one of the best tasting tomatoes i have tasted sweet and tropical . a must grow every year

On Jul 15, 2011, MissMarina from Marina Del Rey, CA wrote:

A friend at my community garden is growing these. The taste is out of this world! They are so sweet and fruity and juicy, that I just had to grow them myself. I cleaned and dried some seeds from one fruit that had split open. 2 days later, I placed 6 seeds on a damp paper towel (rolled up, tucked in a ziplock bag, and placed in a warm spot). 2 days after that, all seeds had started to sprout. I planted them in little pots and all are growing happily. I will report back when they start producing fruit.

On Jan 23, 2011, Sherilou from Panhandle Gulf Coast, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

One of my favorite tomatoes... Blush seeds can be purchased from Seeds of Change. They describe them as 2" long "julienne cherries" with a tropical sweet flavor reminiscent of pineapple. They're yellow with a blush of red, when ripe.

These are delicious and beautiful... truly gourmet. I have not yet detected any notes of pineapple, but it's a really scrumptious tomato. I've had some fruits grow to 4" in length. The actual plant has a very "weeping/droopy" growth habit.