African Daisy, Cape Daisy
Osteospermum 'Voltage Yellow'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Osteospermum (oss-tee-oh-SPUR-mum) (Info)
Cultivar: Voltage Yellow

Flowers are good for cutting

Provides winter interest

Satsuma, Alabama

Arcadia, California

Suffolk, Virginia

South Hill, Washington

On May 4, 2014, peejay12 from Porthleven, Helston, Cornwall
United Kingdom (Zone 9b) wrote:

I must say, I wonder why the breeders decided to make the flowers of this plant look like a common yellow marigold or (from a distance) a common old dandelion. Still, there must be method in their madness - -

I've just ordered five 'plug plants', and I'll let you know how I get on. I would think it's hardy down to -5C in the US, but much less hardy in the UK (see comment below).

29th June Edit: The plug plants have been very slow growing -- some Osteospermums don't grow much after June.

There aren't many good perennial yellow osteospermums available, unless you want to order seed of species from Silverhill seeds (SA).** I'll try to take cuttings, but with some modern cultivars this is very difficult, and they often don't produce seed -- ... read more

On Apr 10, 2013, cleanattic from Suffolk, VA wrote:

Just bought this for the first time, in a hanging basket. I have other African daisies in the ground. I liked it's bloom time thru fall and it can take our heat.

On Dec 28, 2012, stephenp from Wirral, UK, Zone 9a
United Kingdom (Zone 9a) wrote:

It's a little hardier than zone 10a, but ours has overcome -3C, looks a little scruffy, but now it's fairly mild, is throwing up more flowers. This one will surely flower all year round if given the chance. If it survives the winter it will be interesting.. despite frost not being too prevalent here, the moist ground is usually a problem, however this Osteospermum has dealt admirably with that, with only minor frost damage. The neutral is for the fact the leaves can look scruffy in winter if frost occurs.

Finally died at -4C (25F) last year (hardiness between -2C and -3C, 29F and 28F)