PlantFiles: Hybrid Tea
Rosa 'Nearly Black'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Nearly Black

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Class:

Bush

Other Details:
Susceptible to mildew

Pruning Instructions:

Positive HolyChickin On Mar 8, 2011, HolyChickin from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

I just got this rose... it is VERY small compared to the Hybrid Teas I normally get. The size of this bush almost looks like a mini flora (of which I have several). Could it be? It might just be a slow grower... only time will tell.

I read that it is very fragrant... which is why I purchased it. Any and all of the "black" Hybrid Tea roses I can think of of don't have any fragrance at all. We shall see.

I will continue to update as it goes along describing growth habit, flowers etc. as well as add pictures.

UPDATE: Instead of naming it "Nearly Black" they should have named it "Totally Red". Also, the description said "highly fragrant" and I can barely smell anything.... it's more along the lines of "HARDLY FRAGRANT".

It is still a pretty rose... kind of on the small side... the bloom is about the size of a Mini-Flora. I also noticed several buds grouped together in a Floribunda habit. It is possible that as it matures, the blooms will change. Not sure how as I have a true hybrid tea rooted cutting only about a year old and the single bloom was almost the size of my fist.

THE BOTTOM LINE: If you are looking for a nearly black Hybrid Tea, keep looking.