PlantFiles: Bengal Clock Vine, Blue Sky Vine
Thunbergia grandiflora

Family: Acanthaceae (ah-kanth-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Thunbergia (thun-BER-jee-uh) (Info)
Species: grandiflora (gran-dih-FLOR-uh) (Info)

Light Blue

By Dinu
Thumbnail #6 of Thunbergia grandiflora by Dinu

By golddog
Thumbnail #7 of Thunbergia grandiflora by golddog

Neutral burien_gardener On Aug 11, 2014, burien_gardener from Burien (SW Seattle), WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This vine will grow in Seattle area (Z 8) but requires many days of high temps to bloom. Not often in Seattle (2014 being an exception).

Neutral behunkas On Mar 10, 2014, behunkas from Venice, FL wrote:

i have tentatively identified this plant as one growing in semi-shade on fence outside office building in venice(island)florida. but, it is blooming now, in early march. no one in the office building can identify the plant, but all admire its beautiful lavender bloom. is there a vine guru out there who can confirm my identification, or offer a suggestion re what this vine might be?

Positive TexasDollie On Mar 22, 2013, TexasDollie from Windcrest, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Got a start of this at our MG class, trained it over the shady-ish arbor of the veggie garden gate. Trained is not the word, more like...stood back and watched it eat the arbor. Not much in the way of flowers the first couple of years, but last year it was covered in them. We're moving, but I have a start of it to take with me.

Positive Nanciii On Apr 24, 2012, Nanciii from Bossier City, LA wrote:

I have had the Blue Sky flower for years comes back every year and its gorgeous, it loves to take over my gate, some years have been better than others as far as blooming last yr with the heat vine was fine blooms pretty minimal. Mine blooms when the heat of the summer get here late june Ealy July. One of my absolute favorites.

Neutral dirtyshovel On Jul 17, 2011, dirtyshovel from Lake Mary, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Planted in spring and it has overtaken a 6 ft fence, but few flowers. Maybe too much fertilizer? Neighbor's up the street
is loaded with blooms but is several years old.

Positive Aquarius247 On Jul 4, 2010, Aquarius247 from Lake Alfred, FL wrote:

I've grown this vine in my central Florida yard for 3 years. I never knew its name until now. This past winter it froze to the ground, but now it is growning up an old clothes line post and line. It flowers from late June to late winter. The only problem I've encountered was from aphids. I did grow a second vine from a cutting after rooting it in water. The flowers look like Morning Glory but last for days.

Positive fullsun007 On Jul 26, 2009, fullsun007 from Gainesville, FL wrote:

I have had this fine growing in my yard for several years and it never ceases to disappoint. I have limited space in my yard, so planted my blue sky vine at the base of my Japanese Magnolia which flowers here in zone 8B in early spring but after which provides little color the rest of the season. So I let the tree provide the frame for the vine to grow up and by mid summer have those beautiful flowers appearing all over the tree. I have not had trouble with seeds and volunteers.

Neutral khabbab On Jul 13, 2009, khabbab from lahore
Pakistan (Zone 10b) wrote:

In lahore pakistan, this vine blooms late in summer till start winter. Blue blooms are very pretty. It responds good to container culture. It is fast growing vine needs fertilizer in growing season. There is another yellow flower variety called black eyed Susan but it has smaller flowers than blue ones.

Positive SierraTigerLily On May 5, 2009, SierraTigerLily from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Constant bloomer, grown with roots in the shade and protected from noonday sun. I give it tropical fertilizer and it thanks me by shooting out new branches of blooms a week or two later. Although I hack it back every few months, this twining vine shows no potential for "escape" four years after planting. Its root area is exactly the same as when I first put it in the ground. I find it easy to keep the plant contained on one arch. All visitors to the garden stop and touch the flowers.

Positive WillowWasp On Jan 29, 2009, WillowWasp from Jones Creek, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant is a joy to keep and so beautiful to look at. I wish I had more and I will try and do cuttings and see how well they do this spring. I am really impressed with her and I love all the beautiful flowers from early spring to almost winter.

Positive wkeen27913 On Dec 30, 2007, wkeen27913 from Glendale, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

Great plant for phoenix and area. Loves the sun but also loves water. Still blooming at Christmas and has survived a few minor frosts. Do not plant where you dont want it to climb!

Positive lsander153 On Sep 29, 2007, lsander153 from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

I planted this in a pot from a small cutting last May. I put the pot next to an 8' trellis in a sunny part of my garden. It bloomed pretty well at the start, then grew profusely up the trellis, but with no blooms. There are now (September) two flowers at the top, and several buds. I plan to cut it back and bring the pot in over the winter. I'd like to know how to get more blooms.

Positive Lily_love On Apr 19, 2007, Lily_love from Central, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

I would recommend these vines, beautiful, rare blue flowers when other colors fade toward the end of the seasons. Though, treating them as hebacious perennials, this does faithfully bloom every year. I would avoid having this vine tangle with other evergreen vines since we have to pull the spent vines off in winter.

March 20011 update; severe winter killed my vines last year. I'm working on replacing the vines.

Neutral ANGELONA On May 16, 2006, ANGELONA from 00987
Venezuela wrote:

Hello. I dont speak spanish well. I cant seed this plant... i have cuttings but dont grow. This plant have seeds?

Someone explain me please how I can reproduce thunbergia grandiflora?

Gracias.

Positive sunriselmi On Nov 10, 2005, sunriselmi from Hughson, CA wrote:

i saw this in an arboretum in canada. then found in a local HARDWARE store! 3 years, comes back every year from frost to 15 feet, flowers late summer thru fall. pest free, vigorous, beautiful flowers. no doubt division is easiest and fastest propagation.

Neutral dmaroni On Jul 12, 2005, dmaroni from Chapel Hill, NC wrote:

I grow this in a pot, outdoors in the summer, then cut it back and overwinter it in a greenhouse. It grows vigorously but produces only few of its gorgeous flowers only late in the season.

I am troubled by all of the discussions of its invasiveness in Australia and Hawaii **and** Florida
where it is considered a real nuisance. I'm reminded of kudzu which also has pretty flowers and, what's more, incredible grape-soda fragrance: this beast is marching across some parts of the NC landscape and it has almost devoured SC and GA. It would be horrible if like that were to happen with Thunbergia, so those of you who have it survive over winter should be especially careful that it doesn't get away from you!

Positive CaptMicha On Nov 10, 2004, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

I didn't appreciate the beauty of this plant until I saw one in person. The large blue heavenly blooms are incredible! And they last for days which is always a bonus for me.

I find it very easy to flower because mine is flowering inside and is covered in buds. I don't give it any special care except for a sunny window, something to climb on and water about once a week. It's in a quart container at about 72 degrees.

The only problem I encountered with it is an aphid infestation which was easily taken care of. I can't wait to see how this plant will do outside once it warms up again.

Neutral zachcap On Jul 10, 2004, zachcap from Cortez, FL wrote:

I need some info regarding feeding practices to encourage bllooms on a thunbergia vine in SW Fla. Any suggestions?

Neutral DPalacios On Jun 26, 2004, DPalacios from Miami, FL wrote:

This plant is lush and hardy. It has grown about two feet since I planted it only four months ago. The problem is that it is still not flowering. It was flowering when I bought it. I am using time release fertilizer, but still no luck. Any feedback?

Positive Wingnut On Jun 15, 2004, Wingnut from Spicewood, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

GORGEOUS vine!!! Roots easily from cuttings, though it takes a while. As long as they're green DON'T throw them out! Give them time, even months. They'll root.

Positive urbanite On May 19, 2004, urbanite from Houston, TX wrote:

Grows well in Houston, TX

Positive crisee44 On Mar 13, 2004, crisee44 from Morriston, FL wrote:

I bought this from a local plant distributor here in Levy Co Fl.
I planted two plants about 8 feet apart in front of my deck and they completely covered the railings (22' long) in the first season.
The flowers came in the first yr too, and were absolutely beautiful and so profuse.
It has warmed up here in Central Fl and last week I found the plant already growing 44" up my deck. There area several shooters on the ground and I cut, dipped them in rooting compound and transplanted them in several other areas. One week later, they are still doing great. Can't wait to see how the cutting do this yr.

Positive allencpa56 On Nov 22, 2003, allencpa56 from Moss Point, MS (Zone 9a) wrote:

I would like to say this is the best plant site I have visited. I came here looking for a plant that came up in my yard and started running everwhere. Everyone wanted to know what it was. I had no idea until I came here. This is a very helpful site. the plant is a bengal clock vine, blue sky vine.It came up beside a honeysuckle vine i had planted to run around ny porch. Can not even see the honeysuckle.Thanks for a wonderful site.

Positive chrislyn On Nov 11, 2003, chrislyn from La Porte, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have had this vine growing in my backyard for about 2 years now. It is beautiful, fast growing and no signs of pest problems. I strongly recommend it.

Positive docturf On Jun 23, 2003, docturf from Conway, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

This Thunbergia species does very well in the Coastal region of South Carolina and has survived temperatures as low as 15 F. No pests have been observed after more than 9 years of growth. If a mild winter takes place, the vine will continue to grow actively, although much less rapidly.

Positive amelia98 On Jun 22, 2003, amelia98 from Brookline, NH wrote:

Bought 2 or 3 years ago as a houseplant for those gorgeous flowers, it turned out to be infested with bugs and was tossed out the back door. I planted it next to the house not expecting it to survive the harsh winters of NH. The ants and lady bugs are taking very good care of it's bug problem and it's about to reach the top of the second story of my house. Prolific growth but not uncontrollable. Unfortunately, no sign of any flowers yet.

Neutral Schmetterling On Jan 21, 2003, Schmetterling from Louisville, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

The tubular flowers of Thunbergia are a little deeper, about 3" long, and are borne in clusters.

The most commonly seen varieties are sky blue to light violet although there is a white flowered type as well. Leaves are leathery and have a distinctive, elongated heart shape. It is one of the most free flowering vines for shade in the South and is underused due to lack of distribution.

Growth slows or stops in cool temperatures, and the top is killed to the ground after a freeze. In frost-free climates, it is evergreen.

Positive tiG On Sep 4, 2002, tiG from Newnan, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Fast growing very pretty vine. The flower is one of the most beautiful I've seen. Haven't seen any bugs on this plant all summer, and have had no problems at all with it.
Will root from the petiole, takes a while, but is proven successful.

Vincent, Alabama
San Clemente, California
Santa Barbara, California
Stockton, California
Walnut Creek, California
Boca Raton, Florida (2 reports)
Bokeelia, Florida
Casselberry, Florida
Clermont, Florida
Cottondale, Florida
Debary, Florida
Deltona, Florida
Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2 reports)
Fort Mc Coy, Florida
Fort Pierce, Florida
Gainesville, Florida
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Holiday, Florida
Interlachen, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)
Key Largo, Florida
Lake Mary, Florida
Lakeland, Florida
Merritt Island, Florida (2 reports)
Morriston, Florida
Sarasota, Florida
Satellite Beach, Florida
Vero Beach, Florida
Wellborn, Florida
West Palm Beach, Florida (2 reports)
Yulee, Florida
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Bossier City, Louisiana
French Settlement, Louisiana
Gonzales, Louisiana
Lafayette, Louisiana (2 reports)
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Saucier, Mississippi
Brookline, New Hampshire
Averill Park, New York
Sumter, South Carolina
Austin, Texas (3 reports)
Boerne, Texas
Magnolia, Texas
New Waverly, Texas
Plano, Texas
Rosenberg, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)
Santa Fe, Texas