Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Grandma Aiello's'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Grandma Aiello's

Indianapolis, Indiana

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Racine, Wisconsin

On Feb 19, 2015, granddaughter from Racine, WI wrote:

I have been growing this tomato for 35 years. It is my favorite tomato. Pink, juicy,heavy-bearing and fairly early. The leaves are often slightly rolled. This is normal and not an indication of disease. I always mulch the plants with straw to prevent leaf spot. I use compost and, once the plants start blooming, fish emulsion. The fruit is thin skinned and may crack after a heavy rain. If rain is predicted I try to pick any fruit showing color so it doesn't crack. The seed of this tomato germinates easily. My experience is 100% germination after about a week on a sunny windowsill. When the plants have two pairs of leaves I transfer them to a coldframe. Plant out in the garden when the soil is warm and night temps usually stay above 50 degrees.

On Sep 11, 2013, Mogi from Longmont, CO wrote:

One of best tasting tomatoes I've grown. It was grown in my back yard from a plant purchased at local nursery. I watered it and tied it up. The plant is 5-6 feet tall. Seeds were originally brought to Racine WI by Grandma Aiello from Calabria Italy in 1929. For more information on history see: http://journaltimes.com/lifestyles/home-and-garden/heirloom-... .
I plan to save seed this year.